Smell of antifreeze inside car ?

Threaded View
This is a  2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee.   During this cold spell, while using
the heater, I smell inside the car, what smells like antifreeze.  I cannot
swear that it is antifreeze, it just smells like it.   This has been true
for about six weeks.  However, I am NOT losing any coolant.  I have also
checked under the hood, dash,  etc, and I don't see any signs of leaking.
Even if there were a leak that I cannot see, I would think that my coolant
level would go down some after all this time.

Any ideas why I smell this ??

Thanks   !!

james

Re: Smell of antifreeze inside car ?
Look at the heater core it could be that.

--
Have a nice day.

Re: Smell of antifreeze inside car ?

Look real close at the heater hoses where they connect to the block.
And check for any pinholes. (generally you have to wait till the
engine is up to temperature and the system has pressure.

A little leak pissing on the engine block will give you that smell.
And it won't drop enough (initially) to be noticable.

--
DougW

Re: Smell of antifreeze inside car ?
Thanks to all for the logical, and helpful, suggestions  !!!  I will check
it out  !!

James

Re: Smell of antifreeze inside car ?
Either heater core or heater hoses. Run the defroster on a cold day, see
if the windows develop a greasy film, sure sign of a leaking heater
core. If not, Doug's idea of checking the heater hoses in the back is a
good plan. The leak sends antifreeze vapor up to the air intake at the
base of the windshield.

Re: Smell of antifreeze inside car ?
Thanks, RoyJ  !!

James

Re: Smell of antifreeze inside car ?

Yes you are, you just don't notice it yet. <g> Heater core is leaking,
I've had some good luck with Bars Leak, and the GM tabs, both of which
can give a year or more life to the core.

Re: Smell of antifreeze inside car ?
In most cases that would point to a leak, possibly very slight, but leak
none the less in the heater core which is basically a miniature radiator
under the dash..
It would be leaking at all times when running, but when running the
heater you are blowing air through the heater core carrying the smell of
even a minute coolant leak into the cab.

Re: Smell of antifreeze inside car ?

.
I don't believe it. I have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee and have the same
exact problem. Also, now the heat on the passenger side doesn't work. the
defroster on that side doesn't work either. I am sure it is all connected.

I have heard this is a common problem with this model and years. My son's
friend had to have new heater core put in his Jeep at a tune of $900.00

my business is still sucking during this recovery, dud, so can not afford
a big out lay of money right now. I have looked in the manual but can't
really tell where to begin to get to the heater core. Also, was wondering
whether some rad leak stop would seal it for awhile, but still have the
problem with a heater vent or something not opening to the passenger
side. Could it be in the switch as opposed to a mechanical problem.

I have to tell you, I am not happy with this car, every six months or so
we are dropping 700.00 to 1200.00 into it. Every time I get it fixed I
want to sell it but the old lady resist letting me sell it.

Any advise regarding the jeep would be greatly appreciated, don't need
advise with the other problem, have more time in with the old lady than
the jeep.

Re: Smell of antifreeze inside car ?

Without a/c, it's fairly simple but tedious.  With a/c, you got a real
project on your hands.  One simple test (altho your sympthoms don't leave
much doubt) is to go to Harbor Freight or other tool shop and buy a simple
radiator tester.  That will pump up pressure on the system and you can watch
to see if it leaks down - be sure to do this cold or temp changes will skew
the readings.  As for the vents opening, check for a vacuum leak.  I was
able to reach the plastic arm that controls the flappers on my old clunker
to replace it when it broke but the old translation of JEEP is still "Just
Empty Every Pocket".

BTW, I've had to replace heater cores on vehicles after 5 years.  Changing
the coolant every couple of years is the cheap preventative as old fluid
gets pretty darned acidic.

--
Will Honea