Smell of antifreeze inside car ?

This is a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. During this cold spell, while using the heater, I smell inside the car, what smells like antifreeze. I cannot
swear that it is antifreeze, it just smells like it. This has been true for about six weeks. However, I am NOT losing any coolant. I have also checked under the hood, dash, etc, and I don't see any signs of leaking. Even if there were a leak that I cannot see, I would think that my coolant level would go down some after all this time.
Any ideas why I smell this ??
Thanks !!
james

On 2/6/2011 11:14 AM, James wrote:

Look at the heater core it could be that.
--
Have a nice day.

Dennis Croll wrote:

Look real close at the heater hoses where they connect to the block. And check for any pinholes. (generally you have to wait till the engine is up to temperature and the system has pressure.
A little leak pissing on the engine block will give you that smell. And it won't drop enough (initially) to be noticable.
--
DougW

Thanks to all for the logical, and helpful, suggestions !!! I will check it out !!
James

Either heater core or heater hoses. Run the defroster on a cold day, see if the windows develop a greasy film, sure sign of a leaking heater core. If not, Doug's idea of checking the heater hoses in the back is a good plan. The leak sends antifreeze vapor up to the air intake at the base of the windshield.
On 2/6/2011 1:14 PM, James wrote:

Thanks, RoyJ !!
James

Yes you are, you just don't notice it yet. <g> Heater core is leaking, I've had some good luck with Bars Leak, and the GM tabs, both of which can give a year or more life to the core.

In most cases that would point to a leak, possibly very slight, but leak none the less in the heater core which is basically a miniature radiator under the dash.. It would be leaking at all times when running, but when running the heater you are blowing air through the heater core carrying the smell of even a minute coolant leak into the cab.
On 02/06/2011 02:14 PM, James wrote:

On Sun, 06 Feb 2011 14:14:11 -0500, James wrote:

.
I don't believe it. I have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee and have the same exact problem. Also, now the heat on the passenger side doesn't work. the defroster on that side doesn't work either. I am sure it is all connected.
I have heard this is a common problem with this model and years. My son's friend had to have new heater core put in his Jeep at a tune of $900.00
my business is still sucking during this recovery, dud, so can not afford a big out lay of money right now. I have looked in the manual but can't really tell where to begin to get to the heater core. Also, was wondering whether some rad leak stop would seal it for awhile, but still have the problem with a heater vent or something not opening to the passenger side. Could it be in the switch as opposed to a mechanical problem.
I have to tell you, I am not happy with this car, every six months or so we are dropping 700.00 to 1200.00 into it. Every time I get it fixed I want to sell it but the old lady resist letting me sell it.
Any advise regarding the jeep would be greatly appreciated, don't need advise with the other problem, have more time in with the old lady than the jeep.

Buckaroo wrote:

Without a/c, it's fairly simple but tedious. With a/c, you got a real project on your hands. One simple test (altho your sympthoms don't leave much doubt) is to go to Harbor Freight or other tool shop and buy a simple radiator tester. That will pump up pressure on the system and you can watch to see if it leaks down - be sure to do this cold or temp changes will skew the readings. As for the vents opening, check for a vacuum leak. I was able to reach the plastic arm that controls the flappers on my old clunker to replace it when it broke but the old translation of JEEP is still "Just Empty Every Pocket".
BTW, I've had to replace heater cores on vehicles after 5 years. Changing the coolant every couple of years is the cheap preventative as old fluid gets pretty darned acidic.
--
Will Honea