Snow/Ice on windows

Relatively new Jeep owner here, soft top, this is my first winter with it. In the morning quite often there has been a lot of snow & ice formed on the windows. What is the best way to remove them (especially the ice) without having to worry about scratching the windows? I pretty much have been removing the snow by hand while blasting the defrosters for 15-20 minutes before taking off. The side windows eventually thaw, but I have trouble with the back. What's the solution to this?

TIA,

G-Hound

Reply to
The Greyhound and Sofia Vergar

Never remove the snow from soft top windows by hand, or by any other means. Just wait for the heater to warm the vehicle and the snow will melt off. You probably have already scratched the windows by removing snow by hand. They scratch VERY easily.

Also, never clean the plastic windows with paper towels. Paper towels are very abrasive. Use a soft cloth with warm water or mild detergent.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

The Greyhound and Sofia Vergara did pass the time by typing:

The GM fan motor upgrade or a garage.

:)

The best way to remove ice is to avoid having it in the first place. Problem with what I'm going to suggest is it's better for glass windows and may cause scratches on plastic unless you take some precautions to prevent rubbing.

A handfull of powerfull little magnets (from an old hard drive) and some plastic tarp cut to fit the windows. Then you just remove the outer shell, shake the ice/snow off, and your done.

On the old truck I used one of these.

DougW

You have it.

Be very very careful with the hands until the heat has some effect. The windows will shatter if looked at sideways in the real cold.

Forget the rear window, get used to using the 2 outside mirrors.

Mike

The Greyhound and Sofia Vergara wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
David C. Moller

Being a ignorant redneck from the warm climes, that was one of my rude awakenings when I wound up stationed in Wisconsin. I even tried a garden sprayer filled with alcohol. Problem with that was that when it got really cold, like in the -20 and lower, what I melted diluted the alcohol and refroze into a glaze that was even worse than what I started with. I've seen guys using the wife's hair dryer, etc. The net result always seems to be that by the time any of that works the the heater inside would have done the job anyway. I've also seen too many (glass) windows shatter when the heat got too them. Patience is a virtue - go have another cuppa coffee and let the Jeep warm up. Count it as "quality time" while you contemplate moving further South .

Reply to
Will Honea

Reply to
Jeepster

Thanks, all. Hopefully, I didn't do too much damage to the windows. But if I did, that just gives me more reason to be wreckless in it.

By the way, how is that Novus clean & shine on windows? A friend of mine said it fogged his up.

------------- G-Hound - 98 Wrangler TJ O|||||||O

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."