soft top clear moonroof...

Well I finally got around to doing it again! I had done this to another YJ a few years back and it was spectacular.

Of course everyone said "does it leak?" Not only doesn't it leak, but because of the slipstream, it doesn't even get dirty! It's spectacular in the rain and awesome on a starry night.

I have a buddy here who does Florida boat and Yacht tops and he will do this for a nice $. You can get all sorts of tints, but I prefer the clearest version. In the earlier version, the inside of the ragtop was a dark cloth and it felt very "closed in". This opens up the whole feeling into something quite amazing -- especially during a storm!

If you have further questions my email is on the bottom of the pictures page.

Take a look and tell me what you all think.

Capt. Purple

Reply to
Captain Purple

Not bad. Not bad at all. I wonder how well it would hold up to ice and snow though.

Reply to
DougW

Weird I couldn't see my post - so I posted it again...sorry if I messed up.

My guess is that it wouldn't be any wore than the side windows on any other top. The vinyl I used is .030 . There is also .040 available. The first one I did I had for 6 years of constant Florida weather and UV (it was never in a garage) and it was fine the whole time. It always amazed me that no company ever bothered to do that.

By the way, that is a Best>> Well I finally got around to doing it again! I had done this to

Reply to
Captain Purple

Wow! Now, that is a very nice feature to have! Very nice work, regardless of cost. I wonder too, why sunroofs aren't offered in hardtop versions. I guess if the owner wants to see the sun, he/she will just pull the top.

Your 'Sunroof Softop' would make a great business opportunity, if it is that durable. Even better, a version that has clear, zippered inserts so that it can be replaced easily.

Thanks for the look. Very nice product!

Reply to
Outatime

I don't think a zipper version woudn't leak, although I suppose I could try and make one. The double row of seams on the one I did has a waxy kevlar thread, and then on he FIRST one I rubbed in silicon grease into the seams, the silicon grease you get in camping or plumbing stores. That one application was fine for years.

I would be glad to assist anyone in getting this done, just email me at the address under the pix. C.P.

owner wants

Reply to
Captain Purple

The only thing I can see that I might not like - this is a personal thing of course - is there is no optional cover for it that I saw. Meaning, when it's REALLY hot, or the sun is at the wrong angle a person would be like a bug under glass in the sun.

Other than that, I think it's a great idea!

I love my sunrunner top, it's like the best of all worlds.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

I will agree with that. I live in Canada and with the ozone hole letting sun through, we can get badly burned easily. Bad enough they give the daily UV index and an exposure warning with the local newspaper weather.

I got the bikini top as a sun shade.

Mike

Mike Romain

What about a UV blocking clear material?

Reply to
DougW

That would be needed. It is still the intensity of the heat coming through if you are stuck in traffic or something on a 120-130 F day. I find with the plastic doors even the sun coming through the windshield to be deep hot feeling.

I wear long sleeves lots when running with the bikini on or on trips so I can roll down the sleeves when my arms get hot enough. It is really intense some days and constant burns aren't a good thing.

The sunroof on our Cherokee can be intense, It has a crosshatch tint, but still gets hot and can be irritating.

Mike

Mike Romain