some advice please

I wish that there was some crazy ass trail story that goes with this carnage...but I was driving downtown Calgary when this happened.

I was just taking off from a set of lights when there was a really loud BANG followed by thump thump, and I had no go. I thought Ujoint, in order to get out of the way I put in 4H and limped off to the side. I jumped out and took a look underneath and the rear output shaft BROKE just behind the yoke. Hanging down from the rear diff was my driveshaft, complete with a fully intact ujoint.

My question is, is there a chance that something besides the shaft is going to be screwed? It did drive fine (all things considered) in 4H. THe tcase HAS fluid, it didn't run dry. Is it probable that the splines internally are screwed, and if so am I looking at big bucks to fix that?

thanks

jason

Reply to
Pi-Eyed Piper

I'm making a couple of assumptions here, but from your description it sounds like an NP-231 transfer case (YJ/TJ). There is a chance that the tail shaft was bent. I have also seen the tailshaft housing get broken. If the tailshaft is bent then this is a good time to go to a slip yoke eliminator, otherwise, the slip yoke itself is only about $50 and half an hour to change out. A driveshaft shop should be able to help you either way.

Reply to
jeff

This is hard to follow, especially the part that says "just behind the yoke". Do you actually mean, "in front of the yoke", in the direction of the transfer case? That would be, by my guess, the female part of the slip joint. If so, the way to tell if there is extensive damage, is to note how difficult it is to remove the part that remains. If it just slides off by hand, you are probably all right.

Now the interesting part is, how or why did it break? Is some kind of suspension lift involved?

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Sorry for not being clear. The rear output shaft broke. it broke just behind the yoke. it is not hanging out of the tcase. I have a 2.5" lift, which has been installed for about a year. I also have a 1" tcase drop which has been installed about 3 months.

yes, np231 from a yj.

Reply to
Pi-Eyed Piper

yes, np231

the rear output shaft is what broke, is that the correct name? I wasn't sure exactly what I should be calling that shaft. thanks for the input.

Reply to
Pi-Eyed Piper

My assumption here is that when you say "just behind the yoke" you are actually saying "just in front of the yoke", that is toward the T-Case and the yoke sheared and left the slip shaft in the t-case and dropped the driveshaft with the rest of the yoke on the ground. Since you have started lifting, this is a good excuse to get the SYE.

Reply to
jeff

Hmm. On this page, , if you click on "Zoom Image", and zoom in some, 31 is what is normally referred to as the "rear output shaft" or perhaps "main shaft". If you have broken that, then "some assembly is required" to replace it. A competent transmission mechanic should be able to replace it in an hour or two, assuming that the transfer case is out of the vehicle. A gasket and small parts kit will be required, perhaps more. 15, 17, and 19, output shaft housing, bushing, and seal, should also be carefully inspected for damage. The seal, definitely, replaced.

I assume that the cause of the problem, is installing the transfer case drop, approximately nine months too late.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

ahh, yes your assumption is exactly right...

Reply to
Pi-Eyed Piper

transfer case drop to late? sounds that way.

it's not #31 that broke ( I dont think)

when you look under the Heep, the shaft that plugs directly into the tcase is the shaft that broke. What should I call that?

Jason

Reply to
Pi-Eyed Piper

That is just the yoke. You might just need a new yoke and u-joint to fix it. Very little assembly required....

Mike

Pi-Eyed Piper wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

So, thats just the rear yoke? thats what I should be calling it?

Reply to
Pi-Eyed Piper

Thanks for the input on the output?

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-Ltd

education is a wonderful thing....

It is the output shaft that broke, I was thinking the yoke and shaft were one piece.

back to the "I hope it's not fooked" prayer.

Reply to
Pi-Eyed Piper

groan.....yep

Reply to
Pi-Eyed Piper

Piper- I've got a good slip-yoke and driveshaft from my 89 YJ. You can have it for shipping from Kent, WA 98003.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

The yoke just slips onto the output shaft and is the part that holds the u-joint.

Is the yoke still hooked onto the u-joint?

If you are saying the splined male part that sticks out of the t-case is broken, ouch!

Mike

Pi-Eyed Piper wrote:

,
Reply to
Mike Romain

I just realized that the yoke slips over. I thought that they were attached, thats the education part.

Yes, the splined male end is broke. I have a jagged piece of steel sticking out of the tcase, and a completely intact yoke and ujoint hanging off the driveshaft.

with that shaft pull straight out you think?

I was driving down a city street, being nice...

,
Reply to
Pi-Eyed Piper

Ah, sounds like you don't need a new slip-yoke. It sounds like you need a new main shaft. If you dont plan to go any higher with your truck, go to

. Check out the "NP231 Tail shaft conversion kit". The best $500 you'll spend. If you plan to go higher, now is the time.

You may also be able to get a used t-case and install that, or just take that t-cases main shaft. Be sure you get a t-case that matches your engine and trans combination. A 4cyl t-case will not work in a 6cyl. A 6cyl T-case may work in a 4cyl.

As aways, YMMV.

HTH,

Carl

,
Reply to
Carl Saiyed

If, as you say you broke the male part, that is, the main shaft of the T-Case, it would not have come out and dropped on the ground, but would still be riding in the tailshaft housing, spinning freely. Since you say it is on the ground then you sheared the slip yoke at the junction of the female spline part and the ears that mount the U-Joint. Get a pair of pliers and see if you can pull the remains of the slip yoke out. If it comes out easily then just replace the yoke.

Reply to
jeff

After reading all the replies I woundered why there was no-one out there offering to sell you there slip yoke set-up they have laying around after changing to a slip yoke elimanator, so I'll throw it out to you, my daughter has all her parts from swap, it includes the shaft, we're in BC so not much for shipping, make an offer, I'd just give it to you, but as she's only 19, $50.00 sounds like a lot to her, oh and I can't ask her if she'll just give as she is in Grand Prarie right now, too bad this didn't happen a couple days ago, she could of brought it with her and swapped it for you.

Reply to
Greg