Some questions - '01 TJ

Hi All,

Just a few questions:

1) I have an OME lift on my TJ with riser motor mounts, I don't have any driveline vibrations as such once I am moving at any speed. The only thing is a slight wobble when I am starting off the mark in a hurry. If I start off slowly, the wobble is not felt. It was suggested here to me that this was either because of the change in pinion angle (and caused by extreme axle wrap as I start off suddenly) or because of the taller sidewalls twisting on my BFG Muds. However, I don't get this wobble when I am in 4HI or 4LO. What could be causing this? Can I try the cam bolts in the rear to adjust the pinion angle slightly and see if it works or am I better off with changing UCAs in the rear?

2) Both my axles are slightly to the right (by about 1/2 inch). Which manufacturer of adjustable trackbars is more recommended (Rusty, Rubicon Express or Teraflex)?

3) On my trip in the sand dunes yesterday, I noticed at lunch time there was a slight dripping of ATF from very front edge of the transmission, just at the back of where the engine oil pan bolt is. I know it was ATF because it was red and felt like ATF (no I didn't do the taste test!!). This was few drops just coming down from somewhere. I had been in the dunes with the club for a good four hours and that involved some steep climbs and descents. Could this be just ATF sloshing around and finding an outlet somewhere on the top? Nothing felt hot or hotter than normal (including engine). My concern is if oil can come out of a hole somewhere, then water can go in from the same place in future. What could this be?

Thanks for all your help in advance. TW

--------- '01 TJ Renegade 4.0L Auto D30/D44

265/75R16 BFG Muds, JKS Quick Discos, OME Lift, 1" MML, 1" BL
Reply to
TW
1) How tall is your lift? Have you installed anything like a transfer case lowering kit? Cam bolts for the rear control arms are a bad idea since they are a HUGE PITA to install and once installed, have trouble keeping the angle you dialed in without welding it into place.

2) I'd go with Rubicon Express's adjustable trackbars. Completely forget Tera's.

3) There is a vent on top of the transmission but if you've ever had your speedometer gear housing out to swap in a different speedomter gear, the o-ring could be nicked or damaged which allows ATF to leak out.

Good luck!

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

I would not use anything from Rubicon Exp. I would use Alumi-Flex. in all applications. of Suspension. For more info. larry snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Larry

Reply to
extremetj

Any particular reason why? I have to pay international shipping for getting things here. There are two problems with that: (1) not all vendors export out of USA; and (2) its cheaper to ship a bigger lot from same place than have bits shipped from different vendors.

I went to the website and did not find any trackbars? All I found which was Alumi-Flex was the tie rod! My tie rod is fine and I don't want to change things I don't have to.

Thanks TW

Reply to
TW

OME is a 2.5 inch lift. I don't have the transfer case lowering kit. I have the 1 inch riser motor mounts instead. So you recommend adjustable UCA in the rear, any particular make?

Great. Would RE be recommended for UCAs?

I did change the speedo gear, but on a TJ the speedo gear on the back of the transfer case and there is no leakage from that side. Instead the droplets were towards the front of the transmission. I have driven it all day today and no droplets of any kind, anywhere. Any other ideas? Its raining heavily outside, otherwise I was thinking about looking at the dried stain to see where it came from.

Thanks TW

Reply to
TW

That is why I told you to get in touch with me the track bar is not listed it is priced out separate.

Larry

Reply to
extremetj

I thought you might have had a CV driveshaft which needs to have the rear pinion angle changed. WIth the stock driveshaft, the rear pinion angle must remain parallel to the transfer case output shaft as it is now. For 2.5" of lift and your 1" engine mount lift, if you're still getiting vibes, I would just drop the transfer case skidplate maybe a half-inch or so. If money is not an issue, installing a SYE kit into your transfer case and a longer CV driveshaft is the best solution to eliminate vibrations which would eliminate the need for the taller engine mounts and/or transfer case drop.

RE does make very good upper control arms which would be useful for correcting the rear pinion angle if you installed the SYE kit and CV driveshaft.

So far as RE's adjustable trackbars, they are extremely popular and extremely heavy-duty. I have them front and rear and am pleased with them.

Jerry

TW wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Would your design work on RHD Wrangler. We drive on the left of the road here in New Zealand?

Thanks TW

Reply to
TW

Well, money is an issue but breakage can be dangerous, especially on highway speeds. What do you think about hack'n tap Rubicon Express kit? I know its a temporary solution, but when the time comes for beefing up my transfer case, I might trade up to an Atlas unit. I like the taller mounts because I have a body lift and also taller mounts have taken my oil pan away from harm's way.

Should I go with SuperFlex ones?

Something I didn't realise earlier was the difference in designs for a RHD Wrangler. Apparently an Australia company is now making components for Rubicon Express for RHD versions of their trackbars. I might import them from Australia (cheaper freight due to being closer to us).

Thanks for all you help. TW

Reply to
TW