Spark Plug Wires

Well, I decided to swap out my plugs. I have a 99 TJ SE with 33k miles, so I figured it was about time. When I went to pull the wires, they were stuck. Instead of just yanking them off, I bought a plug wire remover tool (first time in 7 years of changing plugs I've had to use one). Anyhow, even using the tool, I managed to rip the metal sleeve out of the boot. I took the sleeve off and shoved it back into the boot when I put in the new plug and everything seems to be working. My guess is this is only temporary.

Do I need to buy new wires now? If so, what do I buy? Are OEM worth the extra money? Any particular brand of after-market better than another (and cheaper than OEM)? Thanks guys!

Eric

99 TJ SE TB Swap Other goodies...
Reply to
Eric

That happens. Twisting the boot or pushing it can sometimes loosen it up but once they get stuck they usually stay that way.

nah. Most plug wires will pull right out of the boot. Just make sure there is a good blob of dilectric grease in there.

Nope. Just get a good quaility like Bosh.

Bosh, Accell, etc. All fairly much the same.

Reply to
DougW

Your OEM wires should have a lifetime warranty on them.

The aftermarket OEM wires from the dealer also have this warranty and Yes, they are for sure worth the extra money.

Over the years I have tried every brand going of aftermarket wires and OEM is always the best.

I am running them in my 86 CJ7.

Mike

Eric wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I beg to differ.

I bought the fancy Accel wires and cap and rotor to go with my Accel SuperCoil and the cap and rotor were toast in two weeks, the wires didn't last a year.

The rotor arced out all over the cap.

I used a shit load of dielectric grease on the plug boots and I still tore 4 out of 6 metal clips off the wires when I did the first plug clean.

Ya the boots came of easy, just the metal clips wouldn't stay on the wires, they stayed on the plugs.

Total crap!

I went OEM for all of it and haven't had an issue since.

Mike

Mike Romain

Mine weren't that bad, but there are better than Accell. Poor choice of product on my part. The Accell I used was a cut-your-own kit.

The ones on the Jeep now are Bosh Premium (lifetime) wires.

But what is lifetime for a wire? I find the Joop gets better gas milage when the wires get replaced every three years or so.

Oh well..

gnite

Reply to
DougW

No, you don't need to buy new wires. What do you think you'd have to do if you bought a set of wires you had to cut to length? You'd have to install the boot after you've crimped the metal connector onto the wire.

Reply to
Big Daddy

I use Taylor wires on all my cars.....pain in the a** to set up but very worth while. Only bad thing is cost!!!! almost $100

Brian

88 YJ
Reply to
Wranglerjeep1

what are taylor wires???

Reply to
Carlo Jr.

Taylored to his vehicle wires? :-) Who knows...

I use Magnecor KV85 wires on my VW. I just got my YJ recently so I haven't had to buy a set of wires yet.

Peter Parker

High dollar, high quality wires used in many race and show cars.

Reply to
Big Daddy

Hmmm, they kinda look ricey to me...

Reply to
Peter Parker

Sold by Summit Racing for a very long time now, even before there was such a thing as riced out Civics and Eclipses.

Big Daddy

Mine are all red with black boots.....look very good under the hood AND the they work. Sure look better than those one size fits all from the local parts store and much much better than Accel IMO.....The price is pretty high but mine seem to last longer than the others....plus you have extra pieces left over in case you screw one up changing plugs.

Brian

88 YJ
Reply to
Wranglerjeep1