sparkplug blow by

Hi all, I have a 1986 Cherokee Pioneer with the dreaded 2.5L I noticed while under the hood checking vacuum problems that I have a small blow by ...its around a sparkplug... have tried pulling the plug and cleaning around it and everything..no dirt or anothing there. Any idea's on how to fix this... With the blowby I am losing compression in turn losing power... any help would be great! Thanks in advance!!

Tracy

Reply to
Knight

Is it missing the sealing washer?

If not, I would try another plug. If it still leaks, well.....

If the threads are stripped, you can retap them and put a sleeve in for an oversize hole, if it has a crack, it is likely a dead head.

Mike

Knight wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Yeah it has the washer. I was thinking about retapping and doing the whole sleeve thing because as far as I can tell there are no cracks. By the way I did get my signal lights fixed....if you remember. Now I just need to get the oil problem fixed...I think most of the oil is coming from the rubber gromets that hold the pvc valve and the valve cover breather in place. Anyways Thanks again Mike. I've been having all kinds of fun in the snow this year with the old jeep.

Tracy

Reply to
Knight

look at the threads in the head. if they are bad, you can rethread them and screw in a helicoil thread setup. , or change the heads. old john

Reply to
<ajeeperman

Knight did pass the time by typing:

swap plugs and see if the problem moves. If so it's the plug that's cracked, if not it's the threads.

That's the number one reason why a torque wrench should be used on sparkplugs. I've seen several engines where a gorilla twisted the threads off.

Save-a-thread works

Remember to use oil on the tap and remove/clean it frequently. Any metal shavings in the cyl will be bad juju.

Reply to
DougW

It also controls the stretch on the plug, which changes the gap and heat. I didn't believe it until I tried plugs set by hand on an emissions machine, then by torque wrench. It made a measurable difference.

Reply to
Paul Calman