Speaker Choice for 1997 Wrangler ??

I have a 1997 Jeep Wrangler. Using an adaptor, I can install 5 1/4 speakers in the front, and the same size in the sound bar (attached to my roll bar).

I think that I have narrowed my choice down to two speakers. First, I am considering the Polk Audio db5250. This is a component speaker, including a separate 1 inch silk dome tweeter, and external crossovers.

The second speakers that I am considering is the Infinity Kappa 52.7i. This is not a component speaker, but it does include a center-mounted 1 inch metal composite tweeter. The tweeters can be rotated up to 270 degrees for best imaging.

At first glance, I would think that the Polk component speaker would be the best choice. But, I would have to figure out how and where to mount the tweeters, as well as the crossovers. (I am not sure how you "surface-mount" a tweeter. Is is done with an adhesive product, or a center screw, or what?)

IF I could be assured that the Infinity Kappa would sound as good, that would be a very simple, drop-in solution for me. But, I would go to the extra trouble to install the Polk component speakers if they have a decisive advantage. Price is not a critical difference when comparing these speaker sets.

My goals are to have a very solid, decent-sounding music system in this Jeep. I have the Alpine 9857, and I do plan to add an amp down the line. Eventually, I will add a simple powered sub-woofer, something like an 8 inch or 10 inch Bazooka.

For now, my goal is to have very solid mids with "some" decent bass, and nice, clear highs. I listen to New Age, Popular, Country, and some light Jazz. No rap for me, at my age.

Can any of you compare these two speakers for me ? Are the component speakers worth the extra installation effort ?

Thank you very much for any advice or tips !!

--James--

Reply to
James

I don't know if component speakers are worth the extra effort in a Wrangler. I installed the Infinities in my sound bar and I am very happy with them. I put Pioneer coaxial speakers in the dash, they are okay.

I think I would like to add a small Bazooka or Kenwood powered subwoofer. Some extra "punch" is definitely needed in the lower registers.

Reply to
Richard Goodwin

James,

I just installed a new system in my 99 wrangler and it sounds amazing. It was a pretty easy install for a first timer. I used the Kappa 52.7i in the front and sound bar and highly recommend them. I also installed a pioneer head unit and amp, xm radio receiver, ipod interface, and for the extra bass the infinity basslink. I listen to a little of everything other than rap as well and it is incredible on what comes out of those speakers. The basslink is just enough bass for me. I usually keep it on the low side but I can crank it to shake the windows. I installed the system in the end of this summer so I was able to see what it sounded like the with top off going down the freeway. It cuts out the road noise with no problem. I did a ton of research on the components, placement of speakers, and the install before making my purchase. I hope this helps.

Chris

James wrote:

Reply to
Love-n-Jeep

Thanks Chris !! It sounds like you have a nice setup !

--James--

Reply to
James

I would definitely shy away from using the stock front locations, since there's no really good way to separate the front of the speaker from the back (never mind have a sealed enclosure with any kind of decent volume), which will rob all your efficiency and bass response, plus they're pointed at your knees. I made small enclosures aimed up at the opposite side listener that are on the floor just below the front of the doors, in my '97 TJ. Sounds great and you can also just buy them from Crutchfield or Quadratec. They're not as ideal as kick panel pods, but they don't get in the way of the pedals (which would've been my biggest challenge had I gone that route), and they don't get in the way getting in and out. Other than that, make sure you have an outboard amp pushing at least 30X2 RMS, and you should be good, even at

80mph, hard or soft, top up or down.

IMHO, the enclosure and placement are the most important things in a Jeep, where it is so noisy.

I would also just install mids in the sound bar, so as not to ruin your soundstage (too much) and fill in what may be lost to road noise. Also, put most of your power and money in the front.

Oh yeah, I use coax's, but if you do components, you can place the tweets atop the dash (yes, maybe with tape) where you don't have to push them so hard, but you may screw up the sound overall, them being so far from their matched mid/woofer counterparts.

Good luck!

Rich

James wrote:

Reply to
spike443

Rich, if the tweeters are mounted on **top** of the dash, they will be pointed straight up, of course.

Are you assuming the highs will bounce off the windshield and reflect back to the listener ?

Anyone here used those speaker Pods from Crutchfield in a Jeep Wrangler ?

Thanks for the comments Rich !!

--james--

Reply to
James

If you do that, then the sound waves will be reversed and it will sound "backward." Not play backward, but sound backward.

;-)

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

That may be true (not sure), but in my 2000 JGC the tweeters are mounted on TOP of the dash, and the sounds must bounce off the windshield, as it sounds great !

But, the windshield in that car angles back at a much greater angle than in the 1997 Wrangler. The Wrangler windshield angles back a bit, but not by much. So, I don't know how the would be.

Now that I have read your unsigned comment again, I must confess it must be a troll !! No, I don't think the sound wave would "reverse" !!!

--James--

If you do that, then the sound waves will be reversed and it will sound "backward." Not play backward, but sound backward.

;-)

Reply to
James

Sorry, unclear. If you're going to put tweeters on top of your dash, you'll want to use the surface/angle mounts that come with almost all outboard tweeters and point them somewhere between the opposite listener's head and a point between the two listeners' heads (or as close as possible). However, that may require additional fabrication.

Alternately, you could put them at the bottom of the A-pillars, on the inside flat part (as the A-pillars are square), angled toward the rear of the car. This would probably end up pretty close to optimum aiming.

Reflected high frequencies will not be reversed (not to your ears, anyway), just dispersed. This can work well in some cars, but not a Wrangler, as the windshield is too steep, and due to noise issues, you want the most direct path to the ears, to make the most of your wattage.

The thing to remember about aiming tweeters is that as frequencies get higher, their dispersion is narrower. Therefore, aiming is much more important in tweeters than mids, and (if crossed over low enough) can be of little importance in subwoofers, as far as psychological localization of the low frequencies.

However, if your tweeters and mids are too far apart, musical components that need to be produced by tweeters and mids (guitars, perhaps) can move between the two drivers as they change in tone, making it sound weird.

You can avoid this by using the prefab boxes from Crutchfield and the Kappa's swiveling tweeters to find the best aiming. Those are angled lower than mine, but again, the swivel will let you find the best angle anyway.

BTW: I bought a used pair of the cheaper Infinity Reference 6.5" coax's from a pawn shop years ago. They sounded great even after spending a few years in my old Blazer, then six years in my wife's Sunfire. I would've pulled them out of the car after I flipped it over a few months ago if I'd had more time. So, I imagine the Kappa's will sound great, as well.

Let me know if you want to see pictures of the pods.

Rich

James wrote:

Reply to
spike443