Speedo Correction Chart

I have been googling my ass off, but can't come across the reference chart for selecting the appropriate speedo gear by tire size and gear ratio. Somebody help a poor dude out here, I gotta get the speedo back into the ballpark.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Newton

Jerry Newton did pass the time by typing:

?

DougW

Chris

L.W.(ßill)

Just a follow up to that chart. You can do it mathematically as well using the formula:

Gear Teeth = Axle ratio * 280 / Tire Diameter

Chris

Thanks to all, I have what I need.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Newton

Raingler's chart is OK, and I've seen others, but none of them specify which year TJ/YJ they are talking about. I've seen references suggesting the older TJ's have a stock 27 tooth gear, but my 2004 TJ has/had a 29 tooth gear. When I timed it on the road and did the math, I needed a 35 tooth gear.

the math:

3600/mile time= miles per hour (mile time=time in seconds to cover a mile)

Number of gear teeth=(old gear number)x Speedo reading/actual speed.

(ie--if the actual speed is lower than the speedo reading, you end up with a larger gear).

I usually average the times over 2-3 miles using mile markers on the highway.

tim

Reply to
tim collins

Reply to