Speedometer not working

Does the 92 wrangler have the usual mechanical type speedometer cable connected to the transmission [manual 5spd]? I have a non working speedometer and would like to recieve some tips on how to troubleshoot.

Thanks

Reply to
josh00

The first thing to do is to unplug the cable and see if is it broken. It unscrews down on the t-case and behind the dash unit. Most only pull out from the top side though.

If the cable core is damaged, you can get generic cores you trim to fit that are way cheaper than the whole thing.

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Not positive but I think the 92 YJ has an electronic speedometer as opposed to mechanical.

Reply to
JimG

Thanks, I look into the info. If someone can clarify elecetronic vs mechanical, I'd appreciate it.

Mike Roma> The first thing to do is to unplug the cable and see if is it broken.

troubleshoot.

Reply to
josh00

One has a cable running to the t-case, the other just has wires and a plug on the side of the t-case.

I do not know what year they went electronic.