Speedometer's got me stumped

Hey all, long time reader, first time OP-

I've got a broken speedometer. '93 YJ with a 2.5L and a 5-speed.

When I bought it, the speedometer didn't register at all, and the odo was stuck at 100,722 miles. The speed sensor had the stock speedometer gear and was wrong for the 31x10.5 tires that came with the Jeep, so I replaced the gear with a 38 tooth and made sure to index it properly. I was really hoping that the indexing was the problem, but alas no.

Is there any other common cause of speedometer failure in these YJs? I've been reading a lot online, but the only troubles I've read about come from improper indexing. Is the gauge itself prone to failure from shorts or loose wires? Any other suggestions, tips, hints, or tricks? I'd even take a few good curses and threats, if they'd do any good.

Just in case they may be related, the only other problems with the Jeep are that the temperature gauge is being temperamental (groan!) and is acting like it has a loose wire somewhere, and the oil gauge isn't reading at all (probably a bad sender).

I've got this bad feeling that I'm going to be digging into the dash this coming weekend...

Reply to
Garth Almgren

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Is that what they call that device used to measure chads in Florida?

The proper term is "multimeter" unless you explicitly only wanted one that could measure "volts", in which case it would have been called a "voltmeter"...

Ahhh, the classics... Simpson 260... Spent many an hour with one of these and an o-scope, debugging problems in shipboard radar units...

-- Ex-Navy ET

Reply to
Grumman-581

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Check the indexing with the speed sensor off, the front wheels securely blocked, and one rear wheel in the air. Turn the free wheel, and observe the speedometer drive shaft turning. Check all the panel grounds and connections, then try "¡Hijo de puta! ¿Qué demonios me influyeron en comprar esta mierda?" You should be able to check the oil and temperature senders with an ohmmeter.

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton