Stalling in LO gear

I have a 96 Grand Cherokee and am wondering is it normal for the engine to stall when going downhill faster than the enginecan brake? When I switch to

4WD and put the auto trans into 1st gear and start climbing a steep hill, if I let the jeep roll back a few feet on an incline, the engine stalls out and the engine light comes on. Same for going downhill. I have it in lo gear and begin my decent, if I let go of the brake and try to let the engine do the braking, it stalls when it picks up a little speed (5mph). I though you are suppose to use the engine braking feature in lo gear to help you with decents. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal?
Reply to
Sean

Something is wrong with your rig....

I would take a wild guess at maybe a vacuum line off or loose or cracked?

I have also heard of improperly installed CB's messing with the transmission computer?

You have a throttle position sensor that had some feedback to the transmission or maybe the other way around. Maybe it's dirty? The plug on our TPS got dirty and my rpm either raced high or it up and stalled.

Mike

Sean wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

If you're trying to roll backwards with the jeep in a forward gear(at least, that's how I read this)that might be the cause of the problem. To engine brake in reverse, you have to be in the reverse gear. The engine light will come on if the engine stalls, not necessarily a fault there.

-- Old Crow '82 Shovelhead FLT 92" 'Pearl' '95 Jeep YJ Rio Grande ASE Certified Master Auto Tech + L1 TOMKAT, BS#133, SENS, MAMBM, DOF#51

Reply to
Old Crow