Starter Shims

1977 CJ5 w/ 304. I replaced the ring gear from the previous post (Chewed up Flywheel). I bought a new starter as the old starter gear looked a little worn on the front of the gear. How do I know if the starter is aligned correctly to prevent this from happening again? People talk about it being "shimmed" correctly. How do I know which side to shim against the bellhousing? Thanks
Reply to
Jo Baggs

Done properly you measure the clearance between the two gears. Requires you manually engauge the starter clutch/solenoid (or whatever moves the gears to mate). Then measure clearance. Different starter/engine combinations take difference clearances, and sorry: I don't know the 'right' clearance for this engine... Some people can listen and tell you if it is right based on teh noise. And many people *think* they can tell you if it is right based on the noise.

Puzzled: could it be done 'wrong'?

Reply to
PeterD

You are not supposed to need them on an AMC engine. You can't use them on my 258 because the starter bolts 'into' the bell housing, it doesn't bolt 'up' to the block lie a GM one does. This means shims would only set the depth an the gear set or bendix as some call them does that already.

Mike

2000 Cherokee Sport 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail > 1977 CJ5 w/ 304. I replaced the ring gear from the previous post (Chewed up
Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Ok, I was mistaken about the 304 it would seem, that starter does bolt up to the block and can use shims, thanks for the info Bill.

Mike

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Mike, you were right. The starter bolts into the bellhousing. It does not bolt into the block. Not sure what kind of engine is on Bill's previous diagram.

Reply to
Jo Baggs