Starting Troubles with 2000 Wrangler

I have a 2000 Wrangler. Auto/AC/6 cyl w/22,000 miles. The Jeep runs well but has issues starting. It may go a week or more without being driven. At first I noticed that the radio was not on after starting on a few occasions. After wiggling the key the radio came on. Recently I saw "no bus" show up on the digital odometer display. Like the radio issue, a wiggle of the key and the display went back to normal. Could it be that the key switch contacts are dirty? And if so will contact cleaner help? Or is it more complicated than it appears? I live in eastern NC and the humidity is high and the fact that the Jeep is not driven often......

Anyone have suggestions??

Reply to
Ralph Southerland

In addition it takes several attempts on occasion to start. Sure seems to be key switch related but I am not sure.

Reply to
Ralph Southerland

Is it still in warranty? (or out on months?) Could be contacts... they would be down on the steering column. One would think that if you "work it" several times they would self-clean.

-- JimG

80' CJ-7 258 CID 35" BFG MT on 15x10 Centerlines D44 Rear, Dana 30 Front. SOA 4.56 Gears, LockRight F&R Dana 300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn X8000i w/ dual batteries
Reply to
JimG

I have a 98 wrangler 4cyl standard doing the exact same thing. Start it up with no radio .... wiggle the key and "poof" music. It is a strange thing. At first I thought it was related to the key release switch, but now I'm not so sure. I hope someone can answer this one.

tpnaquin

Reply to
Todd

Todd did pass the time by typing:

Your ignition switch is worn out or the contacts need to be cleaned.

Reply to
DougW

I have also seen that the weight of too many keys (or other junk) people keep on their keyring can accelerate wear on ignition switches. JELo

Reply to
JELo

New Ignition switch and all is well!!!!!!!!

Thank you all.

Reply to
Todd