Startup Problem with '04 Unlimited

Hello,

I have an '04 Unlimited with an annoying problem at startup. For the last couple days occasionally when I try to start the vehicle, it will crank and crank, but not catch. However, if I turn it off for a second and try again, it starts right up. It normally happens after it's been sitting a while. Any ideas where to look? I realize it's still under warranty, but I hate dealing with the dealer so much that if it's relatively minor, I'd rather give it a go myself.

Thanks, K.

Reply to
Ken Shackelford

How long does it sit until you cant crank it? I've heard something about the fuel injection rails on them but don't know anything for sure.

Troy

Reply to
Troy

Actually, it always cranks, just won't start consistently. This happens if it sits for a little while, like say, an hour or even a little less. Once it starts, it runs fine.

Thanks, K.

Reply to
Ken Shackelford

Sounds like the fuel pressure is bleeding down.

Reply to
Billy Ray

Turn the key to On, wait a couple seconds before you crank the starter. You should be able to hear the fuel pump pressurize the system. I think there is a check valve in the fuel system that maintains pressure, and if its malfunctioning it will bleed down when sitting.

Wouldn't rule out a faulty crank positi>

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Hi Ken,

I had a similar problem with my 2000 TJ Sahara. It occurred two or three times the first year I purchased it (new). I would turn the ignition, the starter would kick in, but the engine didn't catch. My hunch was that the computer didn't turn on the fuel pump. To fix it, I turned the ignition all the way off, then tried again.

One of those things the dealer could never reproduce. Probably a firmware bug in the computer.

Nick

Ken Shackelford wrote:

Reply to
Nick Hughes