Steering Column electrical connections

1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic I tilted my steering wheel one day, after never doing that, and my cruise control and horn don't work. In addition the "Air Bag" light came on, so I am sure that doesn't work. It can't be just coincidence all three went bad the same time after the tilt. Steering Column cover has been taken off by a mechanic I think/hope I can trust and he says no easily ID'd causes for this. any suggestions? Thanks, Ward
Reply to
Ward

Yes, get a new mechanic. Check the clock spring and it's connections. It's what connects the horn,cruise and airbag wiring from the steering wheel to the wiring harness below while alowing the steering wheel to turn.

Reply to
Mike

The clock spring also has to be centered properly or the cables in it will be ripped apart when you turn the wheel full lock. Instructions are usually on the unit lable.

By the way, when you put the airbag down, always put it face up. If the bag goes off face-down, the propellant container goes flying at over 200mph. The other way around it just scares the shit out of folks. Might break a few fingers but it won't kill you.

Reply to
DougW