Steering Limit Adjust - '98 TJ?

How do you adjust the limit for the steering angle on a stock '98 TJ?

I bought this Jeep with what I believe are stock 30" tires and alloy wheels, but the inside of the right (passenger) side tire rubs on the bottom of the stabilizer bar link. Actually it hits the head of the T55 torq-head bolt that fastens the bottom of the stabilizer bar link to the axle housing. It just barely rubs at full steering lock and has not damaged the tire (yet) but I want to stop the rubbing for obvious reasons. The left side comes close but does not interfere. I'm thinking I can limit the steering by half a degree and will eliminate the problem.

TIA,

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

Fred W. did pass the time by typing:

Add a couple of washers to the steering stops.

DougW

If you look close on the steering knuckle, you will see a bolt with a lock nut welded onto it that hits at full steering turn.

You back this out and put one thin washer under it and tighten it back up. The lock nut is the factory set and is tack welded in place.

Mike

"Fred W." wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Try just one washer on the steering stop on the opposite side of the rubbing tire. If it's just barely rubbing, one 1/2 inch flat washer should be sufficient.

Reply to
TJim

Thanks guys!! I'll give it a go. I'm not sure why I didn't see those when I was looking for an adjustment before...

-Fred W.

Reply to
Fred W.

Fred W. did pass the time by typing:

Those are tricky. They hide if they hear you coming.

Reply to
DougW

Well I managed to sneak up on them and caught them right where you said they'd be!!

One washer added to each side and I'm rub free! Since I was only using one, I decided to go with a lockwasher. Now that bolt will never come loose on its own. That and I just happened to have the right size lockwashers hanging around... Thanks for the tip!!

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

Fred W. did pass the time by typing:

not a problem. I owe it to the rest of ramjw. Lot of good knowledge to be had here.

Reply to
DougW