Steering shaft replacement

All,

I need to replace the lower steering shaft on my CJ, as well as the lower bearing in the column. I have all of the parts, but what I don't get is how to replace the shaft. Sure, I need to remove the bolts at each end, but how do I compress the shaft so it will come out? I can simply cut the old one out if I want to, but when putting in the new one, is the idea to attach one end, then tap the other up into place. In other words, the shaft appears to be two piece, but will not easily move.

Any advice would be very helpful

Thanks!!

Reply to
RickA

What kind of replacement shaft are you using?

Reply to
Sleestak

Reply to
RickA

You will need to either drop the box or pull the column out from under the dash to make the shaft fit.

It isn't really a 2 piece unit. That is a compression joint you are looking at. It is there for safety in case of a front end hit.

Seeing as you have to remove the column likely to do the bearing, I would leave the box alone and come at it from the top.

Mike

RickA wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Mike,

If I loosen the steering box with everythiung connected will that work?

Reply to
RickA

Yes, it will just drop down so you have lots of room to pull off the shaft.

Mike

RickA wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

A few weeks ago I found that my shaft was not long enough due to being rusted together, atleast that is what we thought then, now I guess it was just made to be that short and there are other issues. A buddy and I was able to beat it apart so it was long enough. The shafts are still engaged by many inches of each other. Is there any reason I should be afraid of what I have done?

Reply to
aGraham

I don't think so.

I have moved one for a body lift also. We used a torch on it to soften the plastic guts and it seemed to move ok. I think they have a plastic plug in them to hold them stiff, I could be mistaken on that but the torch seemed to help.

They are just designed to collapse so if you are hit bad in the front, the steering wheel doesn't punch through your chest.

Mike

aGraham wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain