Steering Stabiliser for a RHD TJ - recommendations needed

Hi All,

I had asked a question about slight steering shake on the bumps a little while ago. I can see slight seepage of oil from my steering stabiliser, so it needs replacing. I wanted to go with something other than OEM. I went to the Old Man Emu dealer and asked him about their unit SD40. This is the reply I got from their Australian technical team:

"The damper OMESD40 will only suit LHD vehicles because when fitted to RHD vehicles the damper's stone shield fouls on the draglink. Technically, it may be possible to take off the stone shield and replace it with a protecting rubber boot, but unfortunately there would be no warranty applicable for such an application."

So that rules out OME SD40. What else is available that is suitable for a RHD TJ? Input (makes and part numbers) from people driving RHD TJs would be greatly appreciated. I guess the question is geared more towards forum members from UK or other RHD driving countries.

Thanks TW

--

01 TJ Renegade 4.0L Auto D30/44, 265/75R16 BFG Muds
Reply to

There was just a thread about that recently. Someone else was looking. I found it hard to believe there was a difference, a shock is a shock, except when it isn't a shock I guess eh....

The one on my CJ7 doesn't even have a rubber boot on it and it is old and still working.....

Mike

TW wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

More importantly, a bad or even a missing steering stabilizer does not cause steering shakes, shimmy, death wobble, or any of that. It only serves as a band-aid, at times, for other problems. A steering stabilizer is not even actually needed if everything else is in good shape. And a shimmy is generally always caused by either a bad wheel or tire or more likely, simply a tire that is not perfectly balanced. The taller the lift, the more critical that a tire is perfectly balanced becomes.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Well, that was me who started that thread..... I am still looking for a solution.

The OEM stabiliser on now has no rubber or metal boot to protect the shaft. It has been working fine, except for recently when it has started leaking its oil a little bit a time.

TW

--

01 TJ Renegade 4.0L Auto D30/44, 265/75R16 BFG Muds

stabiliser, so

Reply to
TW

I don't have a slight vibration anymore. It turns out there was a piece of clay (a large enough piece) that was caked on the wheel in a blind spot and acted to counter the wheel balancing weights. I had to take the wheels off and clean them inside out and also clean the drive shafts.

The problem is that the original stabiliser is now leaking oil slowly and is on its way out. I need to replace it and didn't want to go down OEM way. Thanks.

TW

--

01 TJ Renegade 4.0L Auto D30/44, 265/75R16 BFG Muds

stabiliser,

Technically,

Reply to
TW

Not all of us are lucky enough to find and drive a "real" Jeep, especially in a country like New Zealand. I did see a 1943 one on our last club run. The guy uses it fairly regularly for club runs, but is not interested in selling it.

TW

--

01 TJ Renegade 4.0L Auto D30/44, 265/75R16 BFG Muds

Reply to
TW

Ahhh.

Has the shaft ever gotten hit? Does it look pitted or scratched up?

My shock is old and I have hit things hard enough to have a drag link that is an inverted U shape and my shock is still fine.

Is there a reason the TJ needs an extra rock protector besides that fancy name just adding double to the cost of the actual part needed?

Mike

TW wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Mike Romain did pass the time by typing:

I figure if it gets hit with anything substantial enough to damage the rod, other things are going to be bent, guess you could put a shock boot over it. Been running my stabilizer without any protection for a good long while. The OEM didn't have any cover.

..looks outside..

Ah, fall.. The nip of the air, the crunch of leaves beneath one feet as you spend the next few bloody weeks raking up and bagging endless piles of the little buggers..... I need a leaf rake for the ZJ! :D

Reply to
DougW

I just run 'em over with the mower and call it fertilizer.

/Peter

Reply to
Peter Pontbriand

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III
25 degrees F this morning. The water would freeze before it hit the ground. :-)
Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Not that I am aware of. It is relatively up and away. Besides I mostly play in mud and sand, nothing rocks. Neither the stabiliser rod (unprotected from factory) nor the body look scratched, dented or rusted. It all started a month or so ago when I noted some oil markings on it while changing the front diff oil.

The factory one is not protected, so I guess it does not need to be protected. The problem with Old Man Emu ones is that they come with a cover and if I install it without the cover, then that voids the warranty. I had sent a photo of steering set-up to Bill (which he had put up on his website). It appears that on a RHD TJ, the bar is not only installed flipped horizontally, it is also flipped vertically. In other words, my grease nipple is facing up towards the sky! Because of that the stabiliser bolt is facing outwards at the bar, making the stabiliser go even closer to the bar than the LHD steering set-up. Hope that makes sense, otherwise I can email you the LHD and RHD photos for you to judge.

Thanks TW

Reply to
TW

I know its not protected from the factory. My problem rightnow is findings a stronger replacement, with or without protection. It started leaking with no other problems as such. It could be possible that the seal has just whithered away.

Fall, what Fall? Its Spring time, warmer temperatures and lots of sunshine, ahhhh beaches, here I come. Its 24C outside with relative humidity of about 80%, weather forecast is rain with thunderstorms. We have a 4x4 Challenge going on here with trucks from New Zealand and Australia. I was marshalling one of the stages yesterday and it was beautiful spring day with mud flying all over the place with co-driver (or winch-men) yelling "WINCHING" every ten seconds..... Ah good old spring time.

I'll try to find the link for the challenge's official website. Its supported by Denny's restaurant of all the sponsors.

TW

Reply to
TW

I need to take time off to clean our garden, its over flowing with weeds. Everything just grows here so fast, I actually can't remember watering our garden ever!!!! Just let the rain take care of it (almost every other day in winter and once a week in summer).

TW

Reply to
TW