Steering stablizer

Well, after admitting defeat in trying to find the cause of the "death wobble" in my '04 Rubicon (the dealer said everything is fine) I decided to install an after market (Pro Comp) steering stabilizer. Here's the question..... In my hast, I forgot to get a boot for it...when I called the parts store they didn't have any...in fact, the parts guy said "they really aren't necessary as they trap dirt inside them and can do more damage than without a boot". This is from an off road specialty store! So, do I need a boot or is this guy just trying to rationalize why he didn't have one?

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd Hanning

I don't use boots. The store is correct, they tend to accumulate dirt and mud then cause the shaft to wear prematurely. Now if your on pavement most of the time and take care to clean the boots out after offroading then they might be worthwhile.

Reply to
DougW

All of my shocks AND the steering stabilizer have boots. Shocks are Edelbrock. Stabilizer is Rancho. The whole point of having boots is to keep dirt off the piston rod where it enters so you don't get a lot of wear at that point. I would get a boot. They aren't going to trap dirt unless they are cracked or loose.

Reply to
Dick

The boots have holes in them because they have to act like a bellows and move. Sealed they wouldn't move.

They 'do' fill up with mud and water and cannot be easily cleaned out.

I wouldn't use them on a horizontal shaft because they won't drain well if at all. If you are careful when you install and put the hole at the bottom, they will drain some, but the baffle ridges will stay full.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
The Merg

Your stock stabilizer shouldn't have had one either:

God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Yep, that's true, the OEM stabilizer doesn't have a boot, but when you extent the piston, the rod is not exposed. So it appears some protection is there, but not to the extent of what a boot will give, or not give, depending on the conditions its exposed to.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd Hanning

The reason they "death wooble" is because of caster and toe issues. A stabiler is merely masking the real problem. Few dealer or alignment places these days understand the real cause of this problem so some say it is normal. When you get the correct combo of camber, caster and to for your lift/tires size the problem will go away. The problem is that factory alignement spec rarely will do this and you need to tweak from there but few understand the cure so you are left hanging. I used to align these solid axles 25 to 30 years ago before there was computer racks and you had to know your stuff. I have fixed a few of those death woobles in my day. If you can post your alignment readings I can tell you what you likely need to do to get a real cure.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Hey, THANKS.......when I took it to the dealer, they said they couldn't find anything...I REALLY got the impression they just blew me off...It was under warranty so that's not a good thing for them. It appears to happen when the temp is over 70, and I'm doing about 50 mph and I go over a bump on ONE wheel (either side). I put other tires (street tires) on it, and keep them inflated to specs. I've never had it aligned or hit any bad holes, so I can only assume the alignment is still what was set at the factory. I've got 17k on it. And, yes, I agree, an aftermarket stabilizer is fixing the symptom and NOT the problem, but I'm at a loss.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd Hanning

We cured Ed's by rotating and balancing the tires. Of course he never got that alignment or replaced the bad shocks so he will have it back soon enough.

Reply to
billy ray

Anytime I've ever used boots they caused more trouble than they were worth. They ALWAYS ended up rusting the piston rod and the top of the shock where they come together. Now I live in the relatively wet midwest so moisture is an issue. If you're living in arizona it's probably not an issue but, it certainly won't hurt you to leave it off, that much the shop has correct.

But whatever you do, for the love of GOD and all that's holy make sure you do indeed keep a stabilizer on your Jeep so you don't run right out and kill somebody. (Don't worry, it's just an inside joke, so to speak). :)

Reply to
Tom Greening