Steering wheel lock plate

I need to remove the lock plate on my 92 cherokee to replace the turn signal/ dimmer switch but cant get the lock plate off. I would cut the retaining clip if I knew I didnt need to put it back on. Its just an old fishing car I use to pull my boat down to the lake so Im not worried if the steering wheel doesnt lock.. YEs Ive seen the tools for doing it and dont want to pay the money if I dont have to.

Thanks Jimmie

Reply to
Jimmie D

Our local auto parts stores will lend the tool out.

You might need two people to manually take it off if you are small. I can lean onto the plate with one hand and pop the clip out with a screwdriver and the other hand. I weigh about 210 though... You might need two hands to bend the plate down...

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > I need to remove the lock plate on my 92 cherokee to replace the turn
Reply to
Mike Romain

Easy.

Using two hands, push down evenly on both sides of the plate. Push very hard and hold it down.

With your third hand, pull outward gently on the steering shaft.

With your fourth and fifth hands, pry the clip loose with small screwdrivers or picks and slide it off the shaft.

Gently release the plate with hands 1 and 2.

-rev

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Thanks Bill, You are THE MAN. WIfe went back to auto zone and she managed to talk to someone who had a clue and they did have the tool after all.

Also my steering column is a little wobbly, I hadnt planned on doing anything about it just yet but with the info you supplied I will get er done this weekend.

Thanks all Jimmie PS 264000 miles, I will be very happy if she sees 300K.

messagenews:t47uh.9550$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews8.bellsouth.net...

Reply to
JIMMIEDEE123

messagenews:t47uh.9550$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews8.bellsouth.net...