Stepper Motor Bad?

Hi all,

I've been having a minor problem with my jeep since I bought it. It always had a stinky smell to the exhaust like it's running rich. I replaced the O2 sensor but that did not help. Today I looked at the stepper motor on the back of my Carb. The test I did was to choke it out by holding my hand over the carb while running and then view the metering pins when I removed my hand. From what I read they should be moving, adjusting to compensate for the choke. The pins did not move at all. I had cleaned the metering pin's housing eariler in the day with carb cleaner. They were gummy and did not move with ease before I cleaned them. After which, they moved fine manually but did not move when running.

Questions:

How can I diagnosis if the problem is with the stepper motor or another part? If the problem is with the stepper motor can I purchase and replace only that part or do I need to buy a kit? Where can I purchase a stepper motor and is there another name for it (the parts stores I went to didn't know what I was talking about).

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Many of your questions will be answered from this YJ site:

God Bless America, ßill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com
Oliveri wrote:>

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I forget which year Jeep started using the computer controlled BBD but are you sure the prev owner didn't mod it with the Nutter Bypass? The stepper wouldn't move if he (or she...pardon Jo and Jen) put the idiot box to sleep.

Reply to
KurtS

Interesting. So it would be a good idea to pull the connector at the MCU after doing the bypass. Good to know.

Reply to
KurtS

The tach feed comes from the MCU on a YJ, so the tach wire would need to be moved to the coil.

Not an issue on a CJ7, it's tach is inline with the ignition module power.

Mike

KurtS wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain