Still Hi Oil Pressure

Got a '96 Cherokee I6 with 114K miles, running synthetic oil and after a little while the oil pressure gauge jumps around from 40 to over 80. Sometimes it settles down, sometimes not. I've changed the oil filter and replaced the oil, nothing shows up on the magnetic plug. I've cleaned the contacts at the oil pressure sensor, didn't help. Any suggestions on what I should try next? Thanks.

--Rocky (rockylarochelle)spam(@)(gmail.com)

Reply to
Rocky LaRochelle

Temporarily install a mechanical gauge to find out the true oil pressure.

It is possible your cleaned sender is defective or dying but don't just replace it without knowing the actual pressure output.. Many autoparts stores will lend/lease you a mechanical gauge with a small deposit.

Oil pressure gauges acting oddly are not unusual..... check the pressure with a mechanical gauge first.

Reply to
billy ray

Mine did this too until I replaced the sender... this involves unpluging the wire from the top unscrewing the sender, and replacing it with the new one in kind... in other words it's easier than an oil change.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

Probably a bad sending unit, mine did the same thing (97 Cherokee) Still it wouldn't be a bad idea to double check with a mechanical unit as well. Drifter "I've been here, I've been there..."

Reply to
Drifter