Stock Jeep - Tire Size

Hi All. I have a stock 4.0 TJ SE 2000. It has wrangler GSA 30 X 9.5 tires on it. I would like to get just a little more clearance. My questions are:

Without a lift, what is the max practical tire size I can install. When is it best to get a spring lift. When is it best to get a body lift.

I like the Rubicon models, and they seem to have larger tires and sit higher than my TJ. Something along those lines or a little bigger would suit me fine. I am not looking to make a monster vehicle. I am leary of the body lifts. I see alot of those, and the frame sits way down and the body is lifted. To me, I don't see the point, and it looks bad. But, I know it has a purpose somewhere.

Thanks!

Reply to
DelphiCoder

you can go with 31X10.50 tires that is what the rubies have

Reply to
IsellJeeps

This was answered, but I'd be a little concerned about the sag of your two year old coils. Not to mention if you're running a hard top, aftermarket bumpers or rockrails or a winch. These would weigh you down further, causing the 31's to rub.

When you want more room for tires, which give you more room under your axles. Mild lifts are pretty easy to install and come with very few extra issues. Larger lifts (generally 4"+) change your suspension geometry enough that other (expensive) changes are often needed.

When you want more room for tires, but don't have $ for a spring lift. I've seen body lifts up to 3" but I wouldn't install one over 1.25" (what I have now). The stresses you are putting on the hardware holding the body to the frame past the 1" mark are pretty dangerous (imo). Plus I think it looks ugly.

n.

Reply to
Nathan Otis

I hear that 31" 10.5 R15 is the largest you can handle without a lift. So... that's what I actually had installed today. They are great. I did notice, though, that when cutting hard in reverse, there was a small amount of rubbing. That could be just old springs since I drive a 2k as well. I plan on getting a 1" or 2" lift some time anyway.

I got BFG Land Terrains at Walmart. 5 of them including the spare mounted, blah, blah, blah for about $550.

Reply to
E. Jason Brooks

I starting thinking about the four year old springs a poster mentioed earlier. I have a hardtop, and I am sure the extra weight of it takes it toll over time. So, I surfed over to

and looked at their 4" lift and spring kit. It claims that the ride will actually be smoother! One thing that bothers me is the safe up to 80mph statement. I ride on the interstate at times, and it is not too far of a leap for me to travel at that speed. Has anyone else used this kit (old man emu), and what do you all think of it?

Thanks!

Reply to
delphicoder

OME Lifts are tops. They're some of the smoothest riding Jeeps I've ever been in. (Don't worry about the speed limit). n.

Reply to
Nathan Otis

Thanks! Pricy, but I think probably worth it in the long run.

Reply to
delphicoder

Reply to
<curtis6317

I don't know much, but remember this: when you do go to get big new tires for the TJ, have the guy measure. Not all 31 x 10.50s will fit right. I got Kelly 31x 10.50 muds when my TJ was new, and one tread pattern fit (barely-the little new-tire nubs brushed off!) and another would have actually ground down on the fender.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

Hope this helps.

Reply to
E. Jason Brooks

Reply to
Drink

Walmart has a tendency to pressure manufacturers to give them products at super low prices. Many choose to actually make a modified product to give them instead. There are many things that seem to be the same but are actually different SKUs then other retail stores, for even the same named product. BFG Land Terrains are the cheapened Walmart version of the AT KO. They look very similar and may be identical, but it prevents the 'competition' of Walmart against 'real' tire centers that carry the AT KO. FYI I got my 31x10.50 AT KO set at NTB for about the sme money...but I got only 4 not 5 and I also have the best warranty package they have.

Shawn

Reply to
Endo