stock satellite radio question

We have a 2006 Grand Cherokee with the stock radio. Its AM/FM/CD/Sirius. I want to upgrade the radio and keep the Sirius. While looking at radios, I noticed that most that support satellite are just satellite-ready and require a separate satellite tuner.

Does anyone know if the stock setup includes a separate tuner or is the satellite tuner integrated into the radio? This affects my purchase decision. If the stock setup includes the separate tuner then all I need is a satellite-ready receiver.

Reply to
sky_diver_

While checking out the selection from Crutchfield it appears that if I replace the factory radio with any of their offerings I would have to bypass the Boston Acoustics amplifier and would lose my Sirius satellite reception.

So now I'm wondering what are my options in replacing the factory radio but keep the factory amp and satellite......

Reply to
sky_diver_

Possibly not the best forum for this. Most of the posters here have no radio, or use a WalMart mp3 player. The best places to plug that in are a cassette adapter, an FM transmitter or just put the cheap earphones it comes with into your ears. I saw one the other day, that plugs into the cigaret lighter and plays tunes off of any USB drive. Now that's high tech.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Earle Horton proclaimed:

Worse, although they may not always be right on the bleeding edge of available equipment, Crutchfield has usually been the best answer for anyone who doesn't already know the answer.

Possibly redirect the question, why do you want to upgrade? Could you be as happy by just upgrading pieces of your radio so you retain the stock appearance across the dash but get better speakers or amps?

Reply to
Lon

Reply to
bllsht

LOL! If this... rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys ...is not the best forum for a Jeep question I don't know what is. LOL!

Reply to
sky_diver_

It's actually more properly a stereo question, eh?

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Yup, I second that - in the YJ I have an Ipod Nano running through a cassette adapter into a $50 cassette player with am/fm - except water damage ruined the radio, so now it only plays tapes. passenger side factory speaker doesn't work, but I have a two speaker sound bar. good enough for me. The XJ will probably get a decent stereo upgrade later on when I don't have anything else to upgrade (or broken parts to fix).

Reply to
The Merg

No its a Jeep question. Use your head. There are a far greater variety of stereos produced each year than Jeep models. So in searching for someone with knowledge of Jeep factory stereos, it makes more sense to look here.

Thank you for your input, but it doesn't help answer my question.

Reply to
sky_diver_

And neither, apparently, has anyone else in this forum. So you're barking up the wrong tree. You can either continue barking, like Heidi does until she gets what she wants, or you can go ask some stereo experts.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton