Stolen Jeep update

I saw that someone had requested an update on the stolen Jeep situation.

The driver was let out of jail last Wednesday, Dec 21st. This mean he served

4 days. He was caught in my stolen vehicle, attempted to evade police, crashed my stolen vehicle, had drugs on him, had a fake driver's license, and had a fake social security card. He also fought with police and tried to run away after crashing my Jeep. I can't belive they let him out of jail..

The two passengers were released on the Monday following their capture (Dec

19th). They will not be charged.

I paid the $300 impound fee and my Jeep has since been taken to Affordable Auto Wrecking in Seattle. It's no longer my Jeep, and I wasn't able to get any of my parts from it.

I spoke with victom's assitance, they advised me that the prosecuter would probably drop all but one of the charges if the driver pleads guilty to possesion of my stolen vehicle.

The detective said that the driver won't show up for his court date, and will be convicted of possesion of a stolen vehicle by default. The other charges will still be dropped. He'll have a bench warrant for his arrest. There will be a restitution hearing shortly thereafter. The judge will decide how much (if any) restitution is nesesarry. Victom's assitance said that even though the state will order him to pay restituion (if I am awarded any), he won't, and the state won't make him pay. In short, she told me that I was best off to "Get over it". Some assitance...

Since then, my apartment has been robbed, probably by the same guys. They got some pretty good stuff. Luckily, I have renter's insurance. The apartment complex tried to tell me that *I* would be paying for the broken window. I'm moving.

What's the good news? I got some new wheels on the Mustang.

Still not sure what to replace the Jeep with, if anything.

Whats the moral of the story? Never, ever, ever let anyone move to an apartment in Federal Way, WA.

Well, thats the update.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Sorry to hear about the BS the dirt bags put you through my two friends Mr. Smith and Wesson would looking up those guys and for sure they would not do it again. What goes around comes around.

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

Carl did pass the time by typing:

You paid the fee and the jeep isn't yours? Hell, if that was the case I wouldn't have paid the fee at all. I assume you are going to get the salvage value?

Wow.. Washington's law enforcement sucks. Around here that's felony evasion and prosicuted.

You should be able to attach any state or federal tax return. Depends on the state.

Given the crap the legal system is doing to you I'd be talking to the local news station. Political heat sometimes brings better results and a prosecutor cornered by the press is more likely to get of his/her ass and do the job properly.

And you have enough to make a good news story.

Reply to
DougW

If I remember, plenty of places to get "lost" in Washington.

Reply to
jduchock

Oh my gad. I am so sorry!!! That is absolutly awful. If you paid the impound fee, your insurance should be covering that, since if its not yours, its theirs. Also, you have every right to go to where ever it is and pull your stuff out of it. Anything thats not an integeral part. After I totaled mine, I went and pulled everything from lock boxes to lights and floor mats, even the back seat (well, I took that while it was still at the body shop). Anything that was "personal" is still yours...at least it should be unless they are paying you for it.

You are right, probably the same guys I bet. After all they knew where you live

- info is on the registration in the glove box - either that or the guys at the wrecking yard have a good racket going I think.

All the more reason I hate living in the city!!! No, you shouldnt be responsible for the window. Especially if you have renters insurance.

I sure hope you have good luck finding a new place and a "new" Jeep!

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

That is a real drag... I would for sure want money or parts for the wreck! I mean you own it right?

Mike

Mike Romain

Yes, I owned it outright. I was told I could not take anything would impair the movement of the truck, IE: wheels, tires, springs, axles, ect. I was able to get my hi-lift and tools.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

That is only the case if the insurance is paying you for the vehicle. Otherwise you can have it towed to your driveway and do with it as you please once the cops are dome with it.

Mike

Carl wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

NO No No... It's YOUR vehicle! Did they BUY it from you?

If not, then they have stolen it from you - period.

Dang Carl, you may have screwed yourself by letting them take it.

Sorry this is happening. I hope that you get some action from th news stations. Or SOMETHING. Do some research, find out what you can do, then do it. Get mean, be tough and kick some ass.

KJK

: > Mike : > 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 : > 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's : > Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! : > Aug./05

: > Carl wrote: : >>

[...]

KJ.Kate

Does the perp have any assets?

If he has a car, home, etc and you get the court order you can place a lien on any assets he has.

You won't get your money anytime soon but then he will not be able to sell them without paying you (Actually the purchaser will not be able to obtain a title until the lien is paid)

Reply to
billy ray

Carl,

It sucks living there, don't it?