Strange leak

Hi All,

I seem to have develop a very strange leak on my TJ. I didn't drive it since Sunday. Everything was fine, except for in the evening yesterday I noticed a puddle of something just under where the radiator would in the centre. I checked the consistency, its not oil and does not have any smell (definitely does not smell like the coolant). I looked around with a light and noticed some wet area around where the top radiator hose is clamped to the radiator and around the seam area just around there. The water, or whatever it is, seems to just dripped along the inside of the fan shroud and then drip on the floor at the bottom of the shroud.

I drove it for a few kilometres to test, but the TJ never overheated or noticed drop in coolant level. I then parked it in a different location, nothing dripped all night or in the morning. I did not drive it today during the day, nothing dripped till something like 5 pm. I noticed that there was a small puddle again, same area wet. Drove it for around 10 kms to push my luck and test, everything worked fine. There is no drop in coolant or any other oil level. The liquid has no smell and feels like water. Could this simply be condensation towards late afternoon, early evening? But I had never ever noticed this before.

The funny thing is that the spot where the liquid had leaked yesterday still has a dry mark on the driveway, so it could not have simply been water (driveway is stained - water doesn't stain concrete).

I am stumped here, any suggestions. I have not tried driving on the motorway to test any leakage at high speed. Should I try to get the radiator pressure tested at a shop to see what happens? Is there any easier way of testing this theory?

TW

--

01 TJ Renegade 4.0L Auto D30/44, 265/75R16 BFG Muds
Reply to

'01 should have the extended life coolant which is amber colored, not green like the old glycol. Does it taste like coolant?

Reply to
jeff

Well - it could be the radiator going - it's plastic in many parts and is known to develop leaks - ours leaked in the seams up top about 1.5 years ago. Through in some radiator gook to stop the leaks, and then bought an all metal radiator - change out is quite easy on the TJ.

This site has a good write up I used....

hth, Paul

Reply to
Paw

I recently helped a gent change his TJ rad. It too was leaking in the exact same spot, right under the hose. That crack seal lets go from vibration it would seem.

The hose has the vibration of the engine in it that transfers to the top of the rad and the rad falls apart. Great design. (If you sell parts)

Mike

Paw wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

It is amber (orangish) colour coolant, but I have noticed no drop in the coolant level. Also the TJ was parked for four days when this started. Its the first four day period that I have not driven it since buying it last year.

As for the taste, I don't what coolant tastes like!

TW

Reply to
TW

I have just read that write-up and the change does seem simple.

How safe is it to drive around with leak stop in the cooling system. I mean, is that thing safe for the engine and water pump? I'll start calling places on Monday to find out what is available in New Zealand (retailers are not really known for stocking Wrangler parts).

Secondly, if I am to change it, should I get the one that has a bottom tranny cooler or separate that out with a new auxiliary tranny cooler.

TW

Reply to
TW

I would have expected the radiator to last more than the coolant though. It seems I have extended life coolant, but not the radiator. I'll keep an eye on it and start looking for a replacement.

TW

Reply to
TW

I drove around w/ it in the system for about a month, no troubles afaik, I only used enough to stop the leak... AS for the separate tranny cooler - Mike or Bill would know way better than I, think it really depends on how hard you use your jeep and what conditions...

Reply to
Paw

Well, I just cleaned everything on Friday so that I could see better and then I drove for about 50kms on Saturday and some trips on Sunday as well. Engine was nice and warm, but no overheating at all. I have had no leaks since. I had done nothing other than drive it a little. I guess in that case it would be safe to assume that it was just a bit of condensation, which is now all evaporated. I am still puzzled and keeping an eye on it.

TW

Reply to
TW