Strange? Question...

OK, it's just a question.

Has anyone tried waxing their windshield?

The reason I ask is because I remember hearing somewhere that this may help with the pitting. My windshield looks like it's been sandblasted (escpecially driving in to the sun) and I figure I'll try almost anything before I buy a new one- just to have it happen again. Ah the joys of driving a cinderblock on wheels! Bad idea?

Thanks,

John '03 TJ

Reply to
john_r357

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Never had it in a car wash... Hmmm... Good point.

I was really talking about applying Turtle Wax or some such to it though...

Reply to
john_r357

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I use the hand spray wash and do a quick coat of wax to help with beading. BUT, I didn't notice that my halo's got worse (I thank Lasik for the halo's!)

Reply to
SteveBrady

Thanks for the heads-up. I do drive at night. I get out of work at

4am...
Reply to
john_r357

john snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com did pass the time by typing:

Yep. I do it about once a year with Meguires and hit the side windows every time I wax. Keeps em nice and shiny. I also think it helps with heat in the summer and the bugs don't seem to stick so badly.

My windshield was the recipient of highway construction debris during a 80 mph headwind. It defines pitted. :/

Haven't noticed any halo/rainbow effect and it seems the water scoots off nicely. Then again it doesn't get terribly cold here.

I ..not so fondly.. remember using some fog-x or some such on the inside of my truck windshield.. one bitterly cold day I exhaled on the inside to clean a small smudge and the whole damn thing went opaque! :O

That was _not_ funny at the time. :)

Reply to
DougW

Wouldn't wax on the windshield contribute to "wiper chatter?"

I have been getting a lot of wiper chatter in the last few months. It comes and goes. I replaced the wiper blades and the wiper arms, thinking that the arm springs were old and weak.

I think it might be the Rain-X I have been using for the last couple of months. I'm trying to clean off the Rain-X but it takes a few weeks to be completely removed.

Anybody have "wiper chatter" problems on their TJ?

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I've never had "wiper chatter" on the Jeep. Got it real bad on the wifeys Passat as we speak. Car's a piece of sh*t anyway- 2002 for 30K and I can't stand it... grrrrr.

Anyway, I heard that once you've used Rain-X, you've got to keep using it or your windshield gets streaky- fast. Besides, I'm not necessarily going for the "drive without the wipers" effect. I just remember hearing some time ago that wax (a mild abrasive) will actually lessen the effect / appearance of a pitted windshield without adding to the problem and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it.

I may just go ahead and try the passengers side and see how bad the "halo effect" is. It's not that I doubt Bill at all, it's just that maybe one issue may be less bothersome than the other- a pitted windshield or a windshield that makes me feel like I'm driving on LSD!

8^/

John

Reply to
john_r357

I was #4 in a flight of 4 doing formation acrobatics at 35-40000' when I experienced rapid decompression one day - quarter inch of ice crystals over the enire canopy - that's still not funny (nor sanitary).

My problem with any of the polishes I've ever used (on purpose or accidently) is that they all seem to cause the wipers to smear badly. I have had decent luck with a weak solution of dish soap on the inside of the windshield - not perfect but I smoke and every little bit helps on those cold mornings.

Reply to
Will Honea

I generally wax the windshield 2-3 times a year, as others I find bug guts remove so much easier. I have never experienced any halo's while driving at night.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

I've been waxing the windshield on all my vehicals for at least five years. There is no difference in clarity & it does help to keep it cleaner. Washing it is also easier. Bugs & stuff just doesn't seem to stick as well. Try it & if you don't think it makes a difference you can always remove it.

Reply to
T T

Yes. Don't.

Wax just smears eventually. Stuff like Rain-X is designed for the purpose but you have to keep applying it. And if you stop applying it the wax starts streaking and is a BITCH to remove completely. The only thing Rain-X ever seemed good for was if you lived in place that always got a light rain but never a downpour. A light rain would simply slide right off the glass but a heavy rain would require the wipers. That use of the wipers seems to QUICKLY degrade the Rain-X wax on the glass and thus require a repeat application of it. This gets old fast, not just from the hassle but from the expense.

Buy a new windshield. If it's bad enough that you can't see reliably out of it then waxing is not the answer. Being able to SEE reliably is not a place to be cheap.

Reply to
wkearney99

Some insurance companies will replace badly pitted windshields because they consider them a hazard. It's at least worth asking.

Joe Carroll

2K-TJ

There are some simple truths...And the dogs know what they are." Joseph Duemer

Reply to
Joe Carroll

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I have a 500.00 deductible also but the windshield is seperate from that. As long as I don't get get a new one for that specific reason they will replace every 3 years. I've also had the same agent for 20 years so that may make some difference...

Joe Carroll

2K-TJ

There are some simple truths...And the dogs know what they are." Joseph Duemer

Reply to
Joe Carroll

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Nope , not a dime. I checked. Joe Carroll