Stuck xfer case '97 TJ

Howdy guys, long time no post. Hope you didn't run out of change yet. :)

From non-use of 4WD, I can't pull the lever to go to 4WH from 2WH. Is it easy to lube the linkage or am I way overdue for a rebuild at 95,000 miles?

Last time it worked, I tried 4WL and something was scraping so I went back to 4WH. My Jeep also makes a gear noise when moving. Could it be xfer case?

What's a good $$ to have it done. I don't have the tools or space to do it.

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

"good question"

Could be as simple as linkage slipping or something "really bad." Hard to tell without looking. Best thing I have

If that's the fix then you really only need a couple of wrenches. An assistant doesn't hurt either.

Remember to have the wheels blocked and emergency/parking brake set. Nothing sucks more than your vehicle trying to run you over.

Reply to
DougW

4WL should only be used on sand/gravel or really slippery surfaces. It will make lots of noise on hard pavement and is not a good idea to run it that way for any time. (won't kill it outright but it will put stress on everything)

Reply to
DougW

It was in the middle of a snowstorm and I wanted to use low to go down that hill. I ended up turning around and going the other way which ended being a blessing. Seems no one was getting up the other side of that hill and it was all backed up!

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore