Stumper: AX5 or not?

OK guys, this is from a '93 YJ with a 2.5L. Now, I've always been under the impression that the 4cyl came with the ax5, for which the bleeder valve is located on the passenger side. However, the bleeder valve on my transmission exits on the driver side, which I believe is an identifying feature of the ax15. I've wondered about this ever since I bought the thing and started reading over the Haynes manual. I was reading the pirate4x4 forum tonight and thought about it again, so I ran down and took a picture of the valve:

The odd thing is that I bought this from I thought the original owner, who definitely didn't seem like the type to do crazy swaps (the pristine condition was the selling point).

to summarize: '93 YJ

2.5L engine bleeder valve on the driver side.

Any ideas? Any identifying marks or tags I should take a look at in the morning?

Reply to
The Merg

I thought the bleeder was on the driver side on the AX5?

Carl

Carl

'The internal slaves are identical in every dimension but the ax15 version has the bleeder exiting beside the feed line. Where the ax5 exits on the pass side.'

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@l53g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
The Merg

Hm. My AX5 had the internal slave. Can you get a picture of the transmission?

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Carl, So your's exited on the driver side as well? AFAIK everything I've read has always said that the ax5 exits on the passenger side. I actually remember being really confused when I first had to bleed the clutch because the book (haynes) said 'passenger side'. But this could be a simple problem of different model years? I put in the motor and have replaced the clutch once since then - I kind of recall having to rotate the bleeder valve to make it fit - but that could be my memory making things up; it does that sometimes.

I'll take more complete pictures > Hm. My AX5 had the internal slave. Can you get a picture of the

Reply to
The Merg

huh...possibly. would everything still bolt in correctly?

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

The Merg

You replaced the clutch and didn't get an external slave setup for it? I am thinking you put the bell housing in upside down.

Earle

Earle Horton

More pics:

Let me know if there is a specific spot on the tranny I should look at or take a picture of.