Stupid Soft Top Question - Wrangler

I bought a year-old wrangler a couple of weeks ago.

I've been having fun learning stick all over again, driving on roads that aren't exactly roads anymore, and all that. The jeep is a new toy I've been looking forward to for a while.

Then the sun came out and I decided to lower the soft top. I unzipped the side panels, flipped a couple of latches above the window, unscrewed a couple of round plastic gizmos on each side above the door on the roll bar and gave the top a push. Nothing happened. Not wanting to destroy anything important, I decided to research how I'm actually supposed to do this procedure.

I looked for an owners manual and naturally the used jeep didn't come with one. I've googled for hours and there doesn't seem to be an explanation, a downloadable pdf or anything that will tell me if I've found all the fasteners.

Anyone know?

Sorry to ask such a dumb question. :-)

Regards, Larry

Reply to
ldg

unzipped

I don't know if things have changed since I got my '99 wrangler but it sounds like you're trying to remove the plastic knobs that hold the side adaptor/channel thingy's. You don't want to remove those.

The paddle latches,(those latches that connect the front of the soft top to the windshield),have a safety hook that keeps the top from accidently flying off while driving. The latch must be flipped, then you make sure the safety hook is free also. don't know what else could be the problem other than the hard plastic edges of the soft top that are 'hooked" to those side adaptors I spoke of have not been freed up. If this is not making any sense, call a dealership or just go by and ask somebody there.

Reply to
elflan

Reply to
twaldron

Just wait until you take the doors off too.... :-)

Mike

Mike Romain

Thanks.

I tried to cancel the post, but I guess it didn't take. I figured this out earlier. I just hadn't looked on the outside of the vehicle.

I also saw I didn't need to loosen the knobs on the roll bar.

My wife and I drove around on some dirt roads with the top down today. It's almost like riding a motorcycle, except you can avoid eating bugs :-)

We did drive past a chicken ranch though, and that was pretty overwhelming. Sometimes this "country air" isn't all it's cracked up to be. :-)

Regards, Larry

Reply to
ldg

Glad you got it off. The addiction begins.... :)

Reply to
twaldron