STUPID U-joint question

Hi all. I'm *positive* that this is a STUPID question but I have to ask anyway. I'm trying to replace my front failed u-joint. The replacement u-joint came with a TINY piece of paper with directions saying I need to add some grease to the u-joint before I actually use it. I'm about to head to the parts store to get a grease gun. Please look at this picture:

that grease fitting? After I fill the u-joint up with grease, doI remove that fitting? It screws into a threaded hole in the u-joint.Or do I leave it there? I'm guessing I leave it there but want to fixthis thing right. Thank you in advance for replies!

Reply to
Shaggie

leave it... and remember to grease it on a regular basis, they make a pin point adaptor for grease guns so that taking the universal off isn't needed ~D

Reply to
Closed

Judging by the mechanics you've claimed to have done before, on Bugs and your CJ, I'm reluctant to reply, but I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and respond to this in case you are serious...

Leave the grease nipple > Hi all. I'm *positive* that this is a STUPID question but I have to

Reply to
twaldron

you can use a big c-clamp to hold the caps on to greese it before install (u-joint must be installed in driveshaft first) OR you can install it and then grease it. You want to install the joint in such a way where the offset of the fitting in question (zerk) is easy to get to when the driveshaft is rotated expossing a larger gap, if not, a needle adptor can be used on the end of the grease gun.

Reply to
Onlyinajeepcj7

Thanks for the reply. Do some people lie about the work they've done on their vehicles? I'm not sure why I'd wanna do that. With all of the stuff I've done on my vehicles over the years I've somehow managed to avoid any u-joint work and just about 20 minutes ago I purchased my first grease gun I've ever owned. I've never lied about any work I've done on my vehicles before. Now I gotta go to the chiropractor. I managed to somehow throw my back out squirming around underneath the Jeep this morning. *groan* Yeah, I can hardly wait to start the dirtbike hobby. ;-)

Reply to
Shaggie

I think the situation is that anyone learning to work on vehicles _usually_ learns early on to lube the various grease fittings. However, many recent cars don't have anywhere to grease. Unless you owned a truck or an older car, I can see where you would never have to learn this skill. If you did have a vehicle with grease fittings and ignored them, then you have probably cost yourself money and certainly haven't been following the manufacturer's service requirements.

OTH, it is a basic job that you need to learn - the drones at the Jiffy lube all know at least a little about greasing the fittings on a vehicle. The thing I hate about them is that they never wipe the dirt off prior to squirting in fresh grease - thus injecting dirt into the needle bearings.

Nasty job tho - I hate using grease guns.

Hope your back gets better.

John Davies TLCA 14732

'96 Lexus LX450 '00 Audi A4 1.8T quattro Spokane WA USA

Reply to
John Davies

John said it best here, so I won't reiterate. It's just hard to believe that with all the stuff I've seen you post, you've never seen or used a grease fitting before. ;) ....AND we do get trolls ocasionally looking for some unsuspecting fish to catch...

Trust me, I've not done everything there is to do on a vehicle yet, either.

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
twaldron

Oh, I've _seen_ one before... ;-)

This is my first u-joint work. Can someone point me to a u-joint on an old VW beetle? Hmm... ;-)

Reply to
Shaggie

You don't need the grease gun yet.

You can take the cups off of the joint and simply put some grease inside, then put the cups back on. Leave the fitting off until you have all cups filled and installed. Once you have all cups filled and installed, grease should come out of the hole the fitting goes into, if not, put more grease into each cup.

The fitting is for subsequent servicing. You can add new grease without disassembling the joints.

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III