Suggestions on going to 33s?

Well, I'm writing this from Iraq so I don't have the liberty to get under my Jeep right now, nor do the research that I'd like to do to get this right; that's why I'm asking you guys. I'll be making the switch to 33x12.50s when I get home on my 89 YJ. I put in 4.10s front and rear and put it up 4 inches before I left, but my question is, what else do I absolutely need to do to make this go right? Also, what else would be nice to do after put these on. I probably go wheeling (when I'm not deployed) about once a week, and I live in Ft. Drum, NY. I would appreciate any suggestions.

-AB

Reply to
Aaron

Sounds like you are on right track other than if I had planned to run

33's or bigger i would have opted for 4.56's instead if you plan to play hard off road or hit sand too.. Many consider a 4.10 the gear to hve but the proper gear to have dependes on tires size, vehicle and engine and there is no universal "good" ratio. One more thing, watch Ujoint angles on drive shafts as it can lead to vibration and short Ujoint life. If issues develope, consider having after market CV's installed in drive shaft which I would tend to do anyway on a YJ with a 4 inch or greater lift. BTW, nice choice of vehicle as I like those old Jeeps with leaf springs in all four corners as the newer ones without then just do not look a "Jeepy" to me.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

If you started with 3.73 gears and 30 inch tires then 4.10 is right on for 33s. To make it absolutely right you might consider getting a slip yoke eliminator and a new rear driveshaft. I recommend reading this page from start to finish:

nrs

Thanks with concern to my choice of vehicles. I really do love it. Since I put it up 4 inches (3 suspension, 1 body) I hadn't noticed any vibrations, but I'm guessing that doesn't negate it happening in the future if the U-Joints are going to wear down.

Reply to
Aaron

I've heard before that this type of thing was usually reserved for lifts around 6 inches. What are the benefits I'm going to get out of doing this for just a 4 inch lift? Know that I'm not being argumentative with you, I just want to do this right and make sure I've got my stories straight. Thanks, A

Reply to
Aaron

Only the suspension lift affects the driveshaft angles. For YJs, 3.5 or 4 inches of lift is where problems start. You seem to be just under the limit with your lift (3 inches). If you don=B4t lift it any more you will not have any problems (same as now).

Reply to
nrs

If the problem with vibration for Ujoint angle developes it will more likely happen after you install the 33's (or larger) tires because to things will happen, first more drive line torque will be required to turn the wheels and the bigger radius of the tires will increase the counter torque twist load on axle in springs cause a pontenail change in drive angle. Time will tell.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Hi Aaron, Did you also switch to a Dana 44 or stronger rear axle? If not be sure and carry a camera with you so you may add your broken Dana 35c pictures to my page at:

Thanks for your service, you're a real American, hero! God Bless America, Bill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Aaron,

Looks like you've got the information you need. Did you get a drop pitman arm with your kit? You may need one to correct bumpsteer. You can get a 1" transfer case drop if you get vibes if you are on a budget and cannot afford the SYE for a while.

I can't belive I'm the first one in this thread to say it, but THANK YOU for your service!

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

Thanks Carl, SnoMan, and nrs. I think I've got that part pretty much straightened out now. Yes, to answer your question, I did get a dropped pitman arm and and a t-case lowering kit; and I'm not getting any bump steer. Do you think I'm going to need to do any steering or brake upgrades? Also, is there a way to calibrate a fuel gauge? I've always had to remember to fill up before I get to a quarter tank, and it stays pegged way above full for a good while after top it off. On a side note, from reading previous discussions, it would seem that it's best to just ignore this Bill guy. So that's what I'm going with after this and I don't need anybody to comment about it. I'm in the middle of me second Iraq tour, which has been extended; I'm the company commander of the largest area within the "triangle of death" in Iraq. The last thing I need to deal with right now is a smartass.

Carl, you're welcome. A

Reply to
Aaron

Watch your back and your front and get back in one piece. I do not like to here about any of you troops dying over there or getting hurt. I did my time during Vietnam and lost some friend over there but then they did not have car bombs the or the civil stife that you are dealing with. I have a friend that was a "tunnel rat" during that war and lived to talk about it and is still here today. I was saddened to hear that they extended your tour as I imagine you were too. I hope it is your last tour and one day you can put this behind you.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Your stock brakes will be adequate but not optimal with 33's. Bill is a decent guy. Stay sharp and come home safe.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

Carl, Thanks that's good to know. When I see a word like adequate that usually tells me that I'm going to need an upgrade with a wife and two daughters riding along. I'll take a look later today and see what's out there online.

SnoMan, I will watch all directions. I wish you wouldn't minimize your war in camparison to mine. It should be me thankful that I'm here and not in SE Asia in the late 60's early 70's. It should also be me thanking you for your service. A

Reply to
Aaron

Thanks. It just seemed like the right thing to do at the time and I did volunteer too. We just had no public support at all back then. Even today, most of those that did their time then are not looked at too kindly sometimes. Seems like another lifetime sometimes as I moved on long ago. When I look at the calander, it does make me feel a bit old and dated sometimes. Like the B-52 bombers, some of us are still around and kicking. I never dreamed that they would still be flying today.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan