Super Swamper tires

Anyone have any good or bad experience with the Super Swamper tires? The ones I looked at were the Radial TSL. The guy at 4 Wheel Parts said they were pretty good on the street and great off-road, but they only last about

30k miles. These are going on my 97 TJ. I've ruled out BFG Muds after many opinions came back that they were slick on wet pavement. Anything else I should look at? ProComps?

Thanks as always for your advice and help.

Reply to
Dennis Cox

Fuzz

Dennis, I have the 34x10.50x15 Swamper LTBs on my 94YJ and they absolutely kick ass off road, street driving is a completely different story. They are loud,really loud,wet traction is ok. My tires have cosiderable wear with around 7500mi., properly maintained inflation, and regular 3000mi. rotations. My dads 03' TJ runs the Pro Comp ATs in 32x11.50 and he has half or better usable tread life after 20k miles. You won't get the aggressive look or off road performance of the Swampers though with those. Have you looked at the MT/Rs or the Mud Grapplers? They are pretty soft compounds so they should offer great traction on and off road but will wear extremely fast.

Reply to
Luke

hi dennis, if you want something that does great on and off road look at the trxus mud terrain.

and then

Nathan W. Collier

I run the Super Swamper SSR's (33x12.5) as a comprimise. I do a lot of highway on them. They are loud, and hard to balance, but they work pretty well on the street and are good off road. No great for both, but good. The set I have right now I have had on for nearly 3.5 years, and 38K, after this next long trip I will be putting new tires on. They are ripped up, slashed, worn, etc, but still doing fine (I have had several folks offer to buy them). The only reason I am not going to put them on again is that I now have a second vehicle to drive, and plan to put bias Pitbull's on instead, since the Jeep will be mainly for offroad/pleasure use now.

If you really need a long lasting mostly road use tire, you may not want to look at swampers. Most good off road tires are not going to do great on the road, and wont last as long as a highway tire.

Reply to
jbjeep

You're not going to find a tire that is great in the mud AND great on wet pavement, you have to compromise. If you do mostly mud running you buy a mud tire and put up with its short comings. If you need a wet pavement tire, you buy an all terrain and keep your fingers crossed in the mud. BFG Muds do well in the mud while the AT's are great on wet pavement and good in snow. Goodyear MTR's do well in mud, well on rocks and fair in wet pavement and snow. Goodyear set out to build a compromising tire. I bought the MTR's and I don't regret it but I don't praise them in any one category. Fact is, they were cheaper than BFG's when I got them on sale. Decide what you want most and be prepared for some shortcomings.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-Ltd

Muchas gracias everyone who replied to my post. All of you confirmed what I was thinking...the Swampers are as good as any others and that I'll be comprimising some performance part of whatever tires I buy. Now I'm back to square 2 in my decision. Square 1 was choosing the size...33x12.5x15.

Reply to
Dennis Cox

I have the BFG MTs and think they're quieter than the A/Ts I had before. A little less grip on wet pavement, but far more grip on the rocks and in the mud. Great tires -- when it's time for new ones, I'll be buying more of the same.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Check out the dunlops on tirerack.com

I have the 35x12.50 r15 on my cj5 and love them...at $120 per...a great price too!

Kevin

Reply to
CJ5 on 35's

I was dreading wet pavement performance when I put on BFG Muds, but I have been since surprised at how well they hold on in the rain. Not one scary moment with hydroplaning or broken traction.

Steve

Dennis Cox wrote:

Reply to
Steve