Surprising source for ATF+4

Whilest stocking up on some 10w30 Mobil One at Wally World this afternoon, I checked to see if they carried the new Valvoline ATF+4 as well. To my surprise, I discovered that they now stock OEM Mopar ATF+4 quarts for $4.42. (I'm sure Valvoline actually produces this product for DC and this is just rebadged, still, OEM ATF+4 is nice to find.) Grab some while you can.

Now, if WM's buyers would kindly source some OEM DC or Zerex G-05 and some decent 13" wiper blades, I'd be a happy guy.

I also noticed that R-134a has almost doubled in price since the summer. I'm wondering if the Montreal Protocol and new US regs will drive the price even higher before production stops altogether. Rumor has it that CO2 is the replacement, though it may be a few years away from production due to problems with the high operating pressures requried. I have a couple of cases stashed away for a rainy day. I was also one of those guys who had 4 cases of R-12 to sell when the price per can hit $65.00 in eBay, and as I recall, I bought all 4 cases on sale for $.59 cents per can. Something to think about.

Reply to
Outatime

I was at AutoZone yesterday and they had a few gallon jugs of Zerex G-05 tucked back in the corner. I don't know if it is now chain wide or just my local store.

They also carry Valvoline brand ATF+4

I got a longer refill blade an cut it to fit...

Reply to
billy ray

They have it here too for two-bucks less than the dreaded Pep Boys. They get the business next time I need it; I normally buy 4 jugs at a time and don't need to buy again for 2 years.

Cool. Doubtful they sell for less than Wally World though. I'll have a look next time I'm in there.

I think I'll have to do the same. Thought about buying a 26-incher so that I can cut it in half and have both sides done at the same time, but the 'catch' won't be present on one of them. Still thinking about this one.

I wish I know for sure when R-134a will cease production. The $3,000+ I made off the R-12 extinction was nice; wouldn't mind doing it again twofold.

Reply to
Outatime

Reply to
philthy

A commercial refrigeration tech friend of mine told me a few months ago that 134a was reformulated a while back. It's now a larger molecule that will actually stay in the system unless you have a real leak. PAG oil and high-density hoses are no longer necessary, either. It's been roughly two years since my '77 Cherokee's converted a/c system (with salvage yard compressor) has had a measurable drop in pressure. The hoses have splices, and the two sections on the evaporator core are original (almost 30 years old). Those 2 1/2 spare cans are still sitting on my closet shelf. :)

Dan

Reply to
Hootowl

I have had refrigerant in the system in my 1989 Suburban for three and a half years now. I ascribe this to getting fed up with incompetent "air conditioning repair" shops, and replacing all the hoses, compressor, O-rings and refrigerant myself. I don't see how they can "reformulate" the molecule without renaming it, but after working at Microsoft I learned that you don't trust industry or government.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

That must have been a BIG change to no longer require PAG; 134a is extremely corrosive. I wonder if they also lessened the toxicity? Morbidity studies I've seen indicated that a fatal dose can be inhaled within 30 seconds inside a closed automobile should an evap core breach occur. You'd think that the liability from this alone would cause changes.

Reply to
Outatime

Yeah, I do the same thing. Replaced the compressor and reciever/drier myself, too. Got the compressor from a well-reputed salvage yard, and got a goody. 'Course, with mine being nearly 15 years old (since last rebuilt), I figured most any I got would have been rebuilt since it was. Love those old upright Yorks-they last forever!

Dan

Reply to
Hootowl

I hope so, because 134a is what they are using in the new CFC-free asthma inhalers now (that insurance won't cover).

My friend also told me that all eight techs who converted the first Arkansas plant to 134a from R-12 got cancer within a year and a half or so. But I haven't heard of any other such cases, so it could have been caused by something else. I sure hope so.

Dan

Reply to
Hootowl

Reply to