Sway Bar

2002 TJ 114,000 miles, 4.o, no A/C.

So I look under for a squeak and I find that the links that hold the sway bar are not holding onto the sway bar anymore, neither one of them. I can pivot the bar up and down. I gotta replace those sway bar links.

It looks like an easy unbolt - rebolt on process, just buy them and stick them in. My question here: Is there anything that I need to know about this other than what looks to be obvious from looking at it? Is this done with the wheels on the floor or jackstanded up? Even if it is obvious, maybe it is not to me. Is there any place I should be getting the parts from (is this a dealer part or is NAPA stuff the way to go?)? Any clues help. Thanks.

Apparently this has been this way for some time. What exactly does the sway bar do? I don't think that I missed it much.... Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

I assume you are talking about the front sway bar.... if so:

I strongly recommend aftermarket sway bar links. RE, Tera, and just about everyone else out there seems to be making them. I dont know who's are considered best anymore. I am not sure if I am running RE's or Tera's... been thru too many parts. LOL. If you are not lifted, or only lifted a little you dont hardly miss em. Lots of suspension lift and no sway bar and you get some very interesting body roll on the highway. Not good IMO. Also, potential issues if there were an accident. Dont know about how that would work, but always something to keep in mind - especially if its a daily driver.

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O> mailto: snipped-for-privacy@billhughes.com

Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Just a thought, how about just replacing the bushings on it instead of the whole shivaree?

On a side note. Rubicon Express went through a whole pile of drama recently in regards to their bushings. I have a set of their links on my rear end. My bushings went bad in less than three months, They replaced them but not before I bought some rubber bushings locally and put them in.

At this point in time I'd say you'd be taking a risk with their products.

If you just want to go back to OEM instead of something like a quick disconnect then your local Jeep club might be a good source for you. Stock links are one of the first things to get tossed into a parts pile.

I WOULD like to recommend Rough Country. Good prices and they give excellent customer service. They will only have QDs though. Not bad to have if you ever plan to get it off of the pavement though.

If you REALLY want to get fancy, spend a few bucks you can go with what I got, an ORO (Off Road Only) SwayLOC, that's still the best investment I have made on a mod.

K.

06 Rubi, with a couple of chrome plated doo-dads zip tied to it.

2002 TJ 114,000 miles, 4.o, no A/C.

So I look under for a squeak and I find that the links that hold the sway bar are not holding onto the sway bar anymore, neither one of them. I can pivot the bar up and down. I gotta replace those sway bar links.

It looks like an easy unbolt - rebolt on process, just buy them and stick them in. My question here: Is there anything that I need to know about this other than what looks to be obvious from looking at it? Is this done with the wheels on the floor or jackstanded up? Even if it is obvious, maybe it is not to me. Is there any place I should be getting the parts from (is this a dealer part or is NAPA stuff the way to go?)? Any clues help. Thanks.

Apparently this has been this way for some time. What exactly does the sway bar do? I don't think that I missed it much.... Tomes

Reply to
Kate

Oh, note on removal. On the upper end you kind of have to treat it like you would a TRE (Tie Rod End) use two hammers. Back the upper end with one hammer and smack it loose from the other end.

If you're pulling one and use a pickle fork you'll crush the bushing.

K.

[...]

Hi Kate, It separated the ball from the socket. Ball over here, socket over there, on each side. I am thinking that I need the whole thing, no?

Nice idea on left-overs. I had not thought of that. I just want to stick in something that will work, and OEM used would be fine. I am soaking some $$ to keep the old Sienna running for the kids now, so cheap maintenance is called for now I think.

Do you know Shivaree's s> Just a thought, how about just replacing the bushings on it instead of the

Reply to
Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Check some of the other boards on their for sale pages, you might be able to come up with something. If not, I can put a feelier out for you with teh folks I know.

Like I said, if mine were still laying around I'd give them to you.

Nice idea on left-overs. I had not thought of that. I just want to stick in something that will work, and OEM used would be fine. I am soaking some $$ to keep the old Sienna running for the kids now, so cheap maintenance is called for now I think.

Do you know Shivaree's s> Just a thought, how about just replacing the bushings on it instead of the

Reply to
Kate

Reply to
Tomes

Hey tomes, I need a way to contact you on a one to one... K.

[...]

Psst... hey buddy!

I have a friend who has a set you can have, all you have to do is pay to have them shipped.

How's that?

[...]

Broken factory front stabilizer bar links are a common problem on TJ's. I have replaced them twice on two different TJ's.

I highly recommend these JKS, quick disconnect stabilizer bar links. Much stronger than the factory links, and they can be quickly disconnected for off-road use.

Also, you will need a tie-rod breaker bar tool, or a ball-joint breaker bar tool to remove the factory links from the factory stabilizer bar.

Here is one tool available here:

The factory stabilizer bar link is press fitted very tightly into the stabilizer bar, and there is no room to hit it with a hammer, while holding a hammer under the bar to absorb the blow. You stick the breaker bar tool into the space between the stabilizer bar and link (after removing the nut) and pry up and down, until the link breaks loose from the stabilizer bar.

Have fun.

Reply to
Mabar

One of my buddys has a set you can have for the price of postage....

[...]

Like these. :)

Sway bars keep your vehicle from rocking side to side or excessivly leaning in corners. The bar has some give to allow suspension flex. Without swaybars your vehicle can easily tilt to either side. Some offroaders disconnect the front track bar for better articulation, but if you drop both front and rear.. well.. You just have to feel it to believe how skeery it is. :O

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
Tomes