SYE recommendation

Anyone have a recommendation on the best SYE for a 97 TJ? I'm running the stock transfer case/transmission and a D44 Rear. I just installed a 4" suspension lift and I've got some vibrations that I need to get rid of. I put a 1" drop on the transfer case skid but it didn't help matters.

Are the SYE's hard to install? I've read some online about them, but they all mention removing the transfer case. That sounds like a lot of work. I can turn a wrench and follow directions, but the SYE sounded a little more complicated than what I want to try. I installed the lift myself without ever having done some of that work, but the transfer case is a little scary to me.

Also, is there a general rule of thumb on how far/fast I can drive to the shop with those vibratiosns? They're not severe, but enough to make me want to get the rear axle taken care of. Should I get it towed?

Thanks, Dennis

Reply to
Dennis Cox

Daughter and I pulled her transfer case, boyfreind did it in about 20 minutes having never done it before, just dissasemble 10 parts or so and put them back together. On a hardnes scale of 1 to 10, lift kit being a 7 this would be a 3.

Reply to
Greg

I agree, removing the T case isn't really that difficult, for me it just took a little time. I don't think I could have done it in 20 minutes on my own, though...

It weighs about 70 pounds or so, if you have a transmission jack it will be much easier.

Removing the T case to install an SYE is much easier than installing the SYE with the case in place, IMHO.

Here's mine:

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

You absolutely do not need to pull the t-case and the whole job can be done in about an hour less than if you did pull the t-case. Just drive the rear of the Jeep up onto a pair of car ramps to give you way more than enough room to do the job comfortably.

The job itself is not as complicated as it seems but you will need a split-ring remover tool that opens wider than most tool stores, even Sears, carries. But tool trucks like Snap-On do carry them. To attempt the job without a split-ring remover that opens widely enough will be very frustrating. You'll also need a 12 point 10mm socket to get the very top bolt out that holds the two t-case halves together.

So far as good SYE kits go, mine is a Bayou Geep which is as good as any of them but AA and JB Conversions make very good kits, and Tom Wood has a good price on a combo SYE kit and CV driveshaft.

Driv> Anyone have a recommendation on the best SYE for a 97 TJ? I'm running the

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III