T-90 grinding

My T-90 transmission grinds when going from 1st to 2nd. It does not, however, grind when going from 3rd to 2nd. I think this rules out the synchro as the problem. Any idea what the problem could be? I was wondering if it could be related to the shifter mechanism, such that it was actually trying to shift 2nd and reverse at the same time? I'm not sure what it would take internally to make this happen.

Reply to
Charles

** Posted from
**
Reply to
L.W.(ßill)Hughes III

Why do you think that?

Do you know how to 'double-clutch' a non-syncro transmission? Have you tried that...

Reply to
PeterD

My T5 did that when I put the wrong gear lube in it. I used a GL3 'compatible' fluid rated for GL5. They lied, it wasn't compatible at all and my low gear syncros started to fail almost immediately.

The GL5 has additives that seize up the syncros.

I drained it out and got some real GL3 gear oil, all I could find was a 'semi-synthetic' blend, so I used that. My shifting went back correct almost immediately.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain