Tail shaft bushing

Has anyone replaced the tail shaft bushing in a 96 Jeep GC.. Is it hard to do in the car. Any special tools needed..

Reply to
Gerald K4NHN

You mean the "transfer case tail shaft bushing"? You would have to take the tail shaft housing off, press the old bushing out, and press the new bushing in. How do you know, why do you think, it is bad? If it is, the rear drive shaft front yoke probably is too.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Hi Earl It where the rear drive shaft come out of the transmission. It's a 2 WD.. I can feel the play in the yoke by moving it up and down and right and left. A friend has the same Jeep and I can't move it at all..

I have a vibration that I can't find when I let off the gas with no load on the drive train. In the 50 to 75 mph range and I can hear it when it does it.. I've replace the front u-joint. It was bad on one plane and good in the other. The yoke didn't look bad, but I didn't put a mic on it... so..... The SUV has 275K mostly road miles on it....

I've been told that the bushing can be gotten out with out removing the rear housing. I'm waiting on the real shop manual to come in to see what it says. I was told that it can be punched inward and it will slide out. Also that there was a grove that a small punch will go between the housing and the bushing to force the bushing inward to relieve the pressure so it will come out... It's best to try and find out for sure before I start this...

Reply to
Gerald K4NHN

Chances are good that your bad universal joint caused the bushing damage. If you still have the vibration, then you probably have something else going on other than the bushing, unless the play you are describing is extreme. I can't picture punching inward on the bushing to relieve the pressure, because the transmission output shaft is still there to get in the way. Installing the new bushing is going to present the same sort of problem. The best bet is to wait for the shop manual, but many times the extension housing, the part that the bushing is in, can be removed with the transmission still in the car. Draining the transmission is probably a good idea first, but the shop manual will discuss that.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

The play wasn't extreme, but I could feel and hear it as I moved it back and forth. .

Reply to
Gerald K4NHN

What really holds that shaft in place, is a ball bearing inside the housing. The bushing you are talking about is reinforcement for the end of the shaft, because it sticks out pretty far from the bearing. You can live with a little play, but that shop manual you ordered should tell you how much is acceptable. If you can rent, buy or borrow a dial gauge, you can quantify the play you have.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

This subject title should be changed somehow, before everyone gets reported for using foul language.

Reply to
Satin Fairbush

I thought that was what it's called...

Reply to
Gerald K4NHN

Hello Gerald,

My post was a sort of a general one, /not/ targeted at you personally at all, and for this I apologize.

You see, some folks in Usenet have their own very personal definitions for things which usually override the dictionaries, encyclopedia and thesauri of the world -- and they can change at a moment's notice.

And sometimes these same folks are hobbyist abuse-reporters.

My comment was intended to be naught but a humorous flippancy relating to this sad state of affairs, but alas, sometimes it does actually happen.

Even in this group.

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

Reply to
Satin Fairbush

No offense taken. Us "ole folks" don't know how to think like the younger crowd.. Don't know it that's good or bad.

Reply to
Gerald K4NHN