Tailgate latch replacement

Hi,

When I bought the CJ7 the tailgate latches were already missing, the tailgate was bolted shut using the holes where the steel cables used to be fixed. I finally got around to fixing that, and I found why this "fix" existed. The threads in the tailgate are gone, so the latches cannot be mounted.

The question: Do you know of a replacement system to keep the tailgate shut that doesn't use the holes to mount the latches?

Thom.

Reply to
Thom

Thom did pass the time by typing:

Duct tape?

:)

How about fixing the threads? You can either go larger and tap new ones (metal permitting) or have it filled, drilled, and threaded. Lots of options for fixing things like that.

Reply to
DougW

Also an option. But then I would have to find original latches and other stuff I'm missing. And that stuff probably costs more than I'm willing to spend. I wasn't unhappy with those bolts you know ;-) I'm just looking around for possibilities.

Reply to
Thom

How about one of those slide latches on each side? The kind they use for doors with the pin or bar that slides sideways. Something like the top two here?

Mike

Thom wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

That would be "in budget" ;-) As usual something else came up an this project is put on the shelf again.

Thanks, Thom.

Thom