taking sifter off a t-176

how can i remove the shifter off the tranny? i'm getting ready to take the body off the frame and don't really want to drop the tranny first. i was hoping to keep the tranny on the frame and just remove the body over it. i haven't figured out how the shifter comes out. is it possible? thanks!

Reply to
serg

L.W.(ßill)

Serg,

If you just want to remove just the shifter arm it's pretty easy. Put the transmission in neutral. (Just makes it easier to get back in) Get the boot out of the way and look right where the shifter arm goes into the transmission. There's like a like a half round piece of steel there. That domed piece is spring loaded and must be pushed down and then turned to the left to come up. Just turn it till it stops (about 5 or 10 degrees) and then it should pop up. The spring is not too strong. You won't get hurt or anything. After you get it out you'll see how it locks on the two pins and you'll know just how to put it back together.

When reinstalling the shifter, look down inside the transmission. It's pretty obvious where it needs to go.

I rebuilt my T-176 last year. Actually I have a T-177 but they are the same except for the gear ratios.

Good luck!

Mark

Reply to
Mark Burns

thanks mark! i just got it out-it was kind of a pain for me but not too bad. how bad was it to rebuild your tranny? thinking about doing the same...i'm already rebuilding the engine and taking my whole jeep apart so...what the heck!

Reply to
serg