Tell me about the 2.5L engine?

My granddaughter wants me to go with her Saturday to look at a Jeep. (Probably wants me to buy it for her also). Anyway its a 1991 Wrangler with a 2.5L engine?????? and I believe a 5-speed. (Must be a four banger). Its has the hard top and a bikini top, body/interior is supposed to be in very good shape. What do I need to know or look for. My granddaughter wants it to dive on the beach, no serious off-roading, or mud-bogging, and they throw you in jail if you even think about walking on the dunes, and probably execute you on the spot if you drive on them. (After all these hurricanes we have had in NC the last few years they pretty sensitive about the dunes).

Basically what I am asking is will the 2.5L engine go on the beach with reasonable tires that are aired down? Or is the 2.5L engine just a Suburban Assault Vehicle, good only in the Mall Parking Lot? BTW this won't be her basic means of transportation, it will stay here for her to use when she visits.

Some people actually prefer the 2.5L off-road - I wouldn't be concerned about it at all.

Reply to
jdarg

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Stay with near stock size tires and it will be fine.

-- JimG

80' CJ-7 258 CID 35" BFG MT on 15x10 Centerlines D44 Rear, Dana 30 Front. SOA 4.56 Gears, LockRight F&R Dana 300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn X8000i w/ dual batteries

Reply to
JimG
75/15 Bridgestone Dueler A/T and they work great...
Reply to
Jim Horne

That motor is more than enough for your grand daughter, until she decides to take a drive down to South Beach for Spring Break. The only real complaint of that motor is that it is a tad bit weak on the freeway, but at trail speeds it really shines.

Reply to
CRWLR

I have '90 2.5 5 speed w/32 inch tires & 2 in. lift . It does great on the trail. Only problems have been gas gauge and valve cover gasket 116,000. miles. Both are common complaints. Good luck. Harry

Reply to
Sydcattledog