Teraflex YJ Rear Shock Mount Bar?

Anyone out there have any experience with Teraflex's YJ rear shock mount bar? I'm wondering how it attaches, how much additional travel it affords, etc. I installed the M.O.R.E. extensions but have had bad luck with them ripping the sides of the shocks (DT8000s) at full compression.

Reply to
SoK66

Yes, I used that bar for awhile on my 92 YJ, but ended up snapping it during an offroad outing last summer. I also used the MORE rear extensions for a while too. The shock mount bar is hollow inside but its strength in most situations still should be sufficient. The reason mine broke is probably my own fault because I welded a couple of shock mounts onto the top of it for use instead of using the provided mount holes. It snapped exactly where I placed the new weld which probably caused a weak point in the bar. The existing mount holes really don't give you that much more travel length. Personally, I wouldn't recommend using this bar.

The stock rear YJ shocks are severely limited in length and articulation. If you want any real shock extension in the back, your gonna have to fabricate something that works. I finally got serious about the rear shocks and did it right. This is what I did:

I had a local welder cut a solid piece of 1.25"x1.25" steel welding rod and welded it across the frame just above the existing upper shock mount welds on each side. He also drilled and tapped holes about 2 inches apart in the center of the rod for the upper shock mounts. You may have to slightly relocate the fuel and brake lines that run near this location on the driver's side rear, I did. I had a little more room to work with since I have a 1" body lift in place. I also had the welder cut off the existing lower shock mounts from the axle tube. I replaced them with a pair of weld-on XJ rear shock mounts that I bought from MORE. These mounts allow the shocks to pivot laterally from side to side. My shocks now ride at about a 45 degree angle inward, and I currently use the Rancho RS99012s in the back (compressed - 19.375", extended - 32.25", travel - 12.875"). Total cost (excluding shocks) - about 150 bucks. I'm also using the MORE front extensions and use the longest shocks available from Rancho, the RS99036s (15" travel).

Terry

92YJ

Reply to
Terry Jeffrey

Thanks, Terry. So far I've moved the lower mounts inward (have a D60 rear axle) to align tem with the upper MORE mounts, but that hasn't stopped the interference. I may just flip the shocks & see what happens. Fairly sure we're going to have to reengineer the mounts to get something that works.

Reply to
SoK66

Yea those DT8000s are a little fatter than the Ranchos. I had the exact same interference when using them and the upper MORE mounts.

I have a D60 front and rear axle too. The XJ lower mounts from MORE didn't exactly fit the larger axle tube, but a good welder can cut them to fit.

Good luck to ya. Sounds like a nice rig you have.

Terry

92YJ

articulation.

Reply to