The "good news/bad news" phone call.

92' XJ... new paint & body etc... leaking windshield.

I took it to a glass shop the other day and had an estimate on a re/re... $120.

This morning I go to the guy I usually deal with for such matters (he was closed the other day) and he quotes me $80 to re/re so I left it with him. I get a call at noon.. "Good news and bad news, I have the old windshield out and...." I said "the 'old' windshield?". The windshield broke while removing it.

I picked up the Jeep with a new windshield and he charged me cost / no labour $91 including tax. I was rather impressed that he didn't throw around excuses like "it was already cracked in the corner and we tried to save it..." A job well done and I threw him an extra $20 for lunch.

Now I have a leaking tranny line to replace... the fun never ends.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Now, that's the kind of person I like to do business with! He sounds like a straight-up sort of business man. :) TJim

Reply to
TJim

LOL, I bet he's really "straight-up" when he quotes $475 to the insurance companies for the same job! He's a good guy and I've sent 6 or 7 people his way over the past few years.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Ya, no shit, are you anywhere near me?

Mike

TJim wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Speedy Glass in London. How are you feeling Mike?

-Brian

[...]

: > >

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Speedy Glass in London Ontario

-Brian

: > I took it to a glass shop the other day and had an estimate on a re/re... : > $120. : >

: > This morning I go to the guy I usually deal with for such matters (he was : > closed the other day) and he quotes me $80 to re/re so I left it with him. : I : > get a call at noon.. "Good news and bad news, I have the old windshield : out : > and...." I said "the 'old' windshield?". The windshield broke while : removing : > it. : >

: > I picked up the Jeep with a new windshield and he charged me cost / no : > labour $91 including tax. I was rather impressed that he didn't throw : around : > excuses like "it was already cracked in the corner and we tried to save : > it..." A job well done and I threw him an extra $20 for lunch. : >

: > Now I have a leaking tranny line to replace... the fun never ends. : > -Brian : >

: >

: >

: :

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

We also have a speedy shop close to the Jeep shops and he is pretty good too.

We have a friend out London way that just had a baby and were there a couple weeks ago. Will likely be back soon...

Any idea what your guy wants for a new one installed in a Cherokee? The local one wants $200.00. Maybe a stop there will pay our gas?

I am also hanging in there, thanks. Stuck with a compressed neck from vertebra C3 to C7 pinching the crap out of my back/body nerves until I can get in for an MRI. They are going to MRI my knee at the same time to save exploratory surgery there.

Physio every day is keeping the muscle knots at bay, but they keep coming back. Not fun.

Still managing to have a few folks over to help them fix their Jeeps, so not doing too awfully bad...

It is soo much easier to help someone fix something in person...

Helps keep me occupied, designed a clutch linkage for a Mustang 5.0 engine and stang T5 tranny in a CJ7 last week and showed him how to put it in this week. Worked great, had fun, drank beer, needed to weld some parts up too, I did that part.

Mike

Cherokee-LTD wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain
***Next time you're out let me know and we'll hook up for a beer if you have time, I'm a minute north of the highway near Highbury Rd. The "Flying J Truck Stop" (south of the highway) always has the cheapest gas... I compare nightly with Toronto on my route. I'll call Speedy tomorrow and get a price for you.

: : I am also hanging in there, thanks. Stuck with a compressed neck from : vertebra C3 to C7 pinching the crap out of my back/body nerves until I : can get in for an MRI. They are going to MRI my knee at the same time : to save exploratory surgery there. : : Physio every day is keeping the muscle knots at bay, but they keep : coming back. Not fun. :

***If there is a positive to be found... it doesn't sound like it's getting worse. Getting your knee done at the same time is a major score!

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD