The Jeep has been banished

to the back yard :-( After spending the summer in the cozy comfort of the garage the Jeep needs to make way for my car. (seems I doesn't like to scrape the frost of the windows in the mornings. ) Last year I put a car cover over the Jeep but it didn't work too well. When it snowed the water melted a little bit and then froze the cover to the body. It was a major project getting it off so I could go play in the snow.

So this year I'm looking at something like this:

Has anybody used something like this in snow country? We'll get 2 feet of snow in a storm and I don't mind brushing the build up off, but I don't want to have to go out in the middle of the storm to keep it clean, if you know what I mean.

What do you think?

Dean

Reply to
Dean

I'd be concerned about it collapsing under the weight of the snow.

What about constructing something similar out of 4x4's and T1-11?

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

The guy up the street bought one similar at an RV place, I live in SO MD and we had some real strong winds he had it secured as per the manufacturers directions but, the winds up rooted it and totally destroyed it. Besides it looked like PEE WEE's big top in his yard. I do not know how it will hold up under snow because it did not make that far.

HarryS

Reply to
HarryS

Actually saw a guy yesterday putting one up. I live in Barrie, Ontario...aka: SNOWBELT!! We'll get 3feet a snow in a few days easily. Odds are, you'll be out shoveling/snowblowing....so just take some time and remove the snow from the top of your shanty-house. Unless you get a big dump of wet stuff....it'll probably be alright!

Reply to
SteveBrady

Dean did pass the time by typing:

Hehe.. That's cute. Probably would stop the rain but not much else. Here are some portable garages. Neighbor had one for a while and it stood up real well to light snow (we don't get more than about 3" at a time) and hail (quarter size).

And the bottom one even has a Jeep in it. :D Of course the big ones arn't cheap. Still dunno how it would handle a heavy snow load, but they are build strong.

Reply to
DougW

Almost forgot these folks

those are some serious portable structures.Of course they come with a serious price tag. :( Ever considered building a covered driveway or a garage in your back yard?

Reply to
DougW

Although we don't get much snow, I bought my jeep garage at costco, $299.00 Canadian, it has a more peaked roof then the one you showed, probably about a 7-12 pitch compaired to the adverage house roof of 5-12, and being slick plastic I doubt any snow would stay on for long, we only got one 4" snowfall last year so could't tell you, but I just can't see it staying on there.

Reply to
Greg

Whatever you choose, be sure that the 'cover' does not trap water on the inside of the cover and ON the paint. With long term storage with trapped water the paint will 'lift' from the primer necessitating a repaint job. Especially stay away from non-porous membranes or 'films' such as polyethylene, etc. When covering for long term storage ..... NOTHING should touch the paint except air.

You dont want to know how I know this sad fact. Most paint manufacturers will verify and validate this statement of NOTHING touches the paint except air when long term storing.

Reply to
Rich Hampel

that does seem to be a problem. But my neighbors already think I'm nuts for driving my Jeep like I do. This would simply confirm their belief.

Reply to
Dean

It doesn't answer your question, but my `79 CJ-5 will be going into winter storage next week here in snowy Connecticut. I found a guy with a Butler building who is renting out parking spaces for cars at $75 a month. For $300 (four months' rent) I can have my garage space back to park the Cherokee. I think it is a good deal.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Actually, why not just continue to use the tarp. If it freezes, it freezes!! Just go start up the jeep and let her warm up with the tarp over it. Leave the heaters on full blast and the tarp should pull off easily enough!

Just don't sit under the tarp while it's warming up! (carbon monoxide!)

Reply to
SteveBrady

I tried to convince the SO that we NEED a garage in the back yard. But that $$,$$$ cost is sort of an impediment. Besides I'd really rather have this in the existing garage.

Dean

I thought the same thing, fired it up and let it sit for an hour with the heater on. The area over the hood did defrost, but the hard top provided enough insolation that there wasn't a bit of thawing, even though the cab was toasty warm. The other problem was it was frozen to the tops of the fenders and fender flares, which get no heat at all. :-(

So I dragged the garden hose out and sprayed the ice with the relatively warmer water until it melted.

Dean

Reply to
Dean

Dean did pass the time by typing:

If you don't mind driving to Indiana, there is a dealer selling off one of their lifts.

Reply to
DougW

DougW did pass the time by typing:

And it would help if I hit Ctrl+V (paste) rather than Ctrl+enter (send) ^_^

Never dealt with them but the site is good for ooo-ahhh value.

Reply to
DougW

It's not so much the freezing that's a problem with a tarp but the warmer temps. Moisture is your vehicle's enemy. A tarp won't breathe enough. Water will build up and it'll rust. Also, never store a vehicle just over dirt. The condensation cycle over soil (or grass) is a lot worse than over concrete. If you want to destroy your vehicle then park it over dirt and put a tarp on it. Better to just leave it exposed than to smother it.

Or consider a cover designed for the purpose under a car port. Those temporary structures just won't hold up in snow or high wind conditions. Better to have a rigid top car port with open sides and a cover. That way you keep *most* of the direct sun and moisture off the vehicle. The cover keeps off the rest but has plenty of ability to let out the moisture.

That and a car port is a lot less ugly, neighbor-friendliness-wise.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
wkearney99

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

ya...that'd figure eh!

Why do you want to cover it for the winter? No top? Bestop sells those mini "overnight" tops...don't know if that suits your needs or not...it's a few $ I'm sure.

You never did say how old your jeep was.... but if you have any old bits of carpet....just lay those fuzzy side down on the surfaces and go ahead and tarp it.

Are you just looking for the ease of taking in your jeep with just a tug on the tarp/top?? Don't wanna chip ice/snow?

I remember a story of a guy that had nearly an inch of frozen rain on his car and he took a pot of boiling water and tossed it on the ice to aide in getting rid of it. Well, the crack that formed in the ice pretty well lined up with the crack that he found in his windshield! haha

Reply to
SteveBrady

I've got a "pretty nice" form fitted cover for the Jeep. It just wasn't meant for snow. Its good for keeping the leaves, dirt, bird droppings, etc off, and it has a nice soft inside that goes next to the paint.

It's a 98 and has a few dozen trail scars, but I am trying to keep it as nice as possible.

Its more like a grunt and a groan. A square foot of snow weighs approximately 5 pounds. And a jeep is about 13' x 5.5' or 70 square feet give or take. So a foot of snow on my jeep weighs 350 pounds!

Nope I love to go driving when we get those 2 foot snow storms. Clearing

700# of snow off is just no fun.

I've seen something similar happen when my college room mate took his car the quarter wash to remove the salt. This one advertised heated water and while I'm sure it did a good job on the salt it also cracked his windshield.

Dean

Reply to
Dean