them black plastic fenders

hello,

Can anyone tell me what to use to try and restore these things a bit? They are visibly faded and peeling - I don't necessarily want them to shine, but a more uniform color would be nice...

Thanks!

Jimmy

Reply to
Dubya

well i accidentally spilled engine degreaser on mine and it turned them black again, but if youre gonna do that test it in an unnoticeabe spot first. good luck

Reply to
marvin martian

I heard some use a heat gun to bring back the color.

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

There is a spray paint can sold at Walmart made for black bumpers.

I have not tried it yet and do not recal the make, however, it worths checking it out

Eric Silver TJ Unlimited 2004

Reply to
Eric and Elizabeth

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
FrankW

Yup, clear coat like the rims.

Man, you think the flares look bad when that stupid coating starts peeling, you should see the rims....

Mike

FrankW wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

There's no coating or clear coat on SE or Sport TJ fender flares, nor is there any paint on them. The only model that has painted flares is the Sahara.

The only paint I've heard that works well on them is Krylon Fusion, and it has been receiving rave reviews.

Penetrol is now receiving good marks for leaving flares nice a black, it's found in most Home Improvement stores in the paint department. It's a product that is meant to improve paint adherence but it also leaves the flares black for what seems to be nearly a year from reports I'm reading.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

There's no coating or clear coat on SE or Sport TJ fender flares, nor is there any paint on them. The only model that has painted flares is the Sahara.

The only paint I've heard that works well on them is Krylon Fusion, and it has been receiving rave reviews.

Penetrol is now receiving good marks for leaving flares nice a black, it's found in most Home Improvement stores in the paint department. It's a product that is meant to improve paint adherence but it also leaves the flares black for what seems to be nearly a year from reports I'm reading.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
twaldron

So what do I always see peeling off the fenders?

The first layer of plastic?

Mike

Jerry Bransford wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Mud?

Reply to
jbjeep

Not sure Mike but I'm literally on my 4th set of TJ fender flares and there's no coating on them.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
twaldron

They come unpainted if you order a replacement set from the dealer; you are meant to paint them yourself.

Dave Milne

I will pay more attention to the next one I see.

I do remember laughing and showing the TJ owner my still mint looking 86 flares and making some wise crack about DC 'quality'.

Mike

Jerry Bransford wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

a lot of people use a flex paint.. mike you are probably seeing paint peeling off but it was do to someone painting them not factory

Reply to
ISellJeeps

There is no coating on my '02 TJ Sport flares.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

I have jus purchased an '03 Sport over the winter and no clear coat on the flairs... as for restoring... my buddy told me to try Mothers "Back To Black". and that stuff worked really nicely at restoring the black..

for the amount of years Jeep have made these they can't figure out how to keep them from fading.... even my ZJ grey body accents are sooooo ugly and faded... What's up JEEP???

Jeff

Jeff