Thermostat

Jumped in the 2000 TJ six cylinder this am and noticed the temp gauge never got above about 120. I'm assuming the thermostat is stuck open. Since I don't have a manual and haven't changed a thermostat since my small block chevy days, I thought I'd ask about any gotchas that I might not know about or is it still a fairly simple replacement.

TIA Joe Carroll

2K-TJ

There are some simple truths...And the dogs know what they are." Joseph Duemer

Reply to
Joe Carroll

Before you go tearing things apart, stick a meat thermometer in the radiator and see how hot it gets to verify the gauge is correct.

Not that I, as a YJ owner, would know anything about misbehaving gauges...

Reply to
yjarray

I suspect the fact that I was getting no heat from the heater confirmed the open thermostat theory but that's a good idea. Thanks Joe Carroll

2K-TJ

There are some simple truths...And the dogs know what they are." Joseph Duemer

Reply to
Joe Carroll

Make sure you flush and fill the radiator with the right stuff.

Reply to
Billy Ray

And that would be?

Joe Carroll

2K-TJ

There are some simple truths...And the dogs know what they are." Joseph Duemer

Reply to
Joe Carroll

And unlike with a carburated engine, do not put in a cooler thermostat, the fuel injection will run rich all the time.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Somewhere around 2000 they changed the antifreeze specs from "American Green" to "G-05"

The old stuff (American Green) is still available, at least from Zerex in the white jug and can still be used according to DC.

The new stuff (G-05) is recommended by DC as a replacement the American Green as it has superior protective ability.

If your Jeep requires the new stuff (G-05) it is only manufactured by one company (Valvoline) and distributed by MOPAR, Ford, Mercedes dealerships, and by Valvoline's brand Zerex (gold jug)

None of the antifreezes made by Prestone, Peak, Sierra, etc. are suitable for use in a G-05 requiring vehicles and contain ingredients DC specifically warns you against.

This does not stop Prestone (for example) from promoting their product for use in late model DC, Ford, or Mercedes vehicles.

Reply to
Billy Ray

Is the coolant level full with the engine running and the heater on full blast?

Carl

Reply to
Carl

yep... Joe Carroll

2K-TJ

There are some simple truths...And the dogs know what they are." Joseph Duemer

Reply to
Joe Carroll

Thanks Joe Carroll

2K-TJ

There are some simple truths...And the dogs know what they are." Joseph Duemer

Reply to
Joe Carroll

Thanks, didn't know any of that. Joe Carroll

2K-TJ

There are some simple truths...And the dogs know what they are." Joseph Duemer

Reply to
Joe Carroll

This one is full of green stuff now, how do I determine that it needs the new stuff. I looked for any stickers and there are none. Joe Carroll

2K-TJ

There are some simple truths...And the dogs know what they are." Joseph Duemer

Reply to
Joe Carroll

If your green antifreeze is original it is probably the old style "American Green". My ('02) owner's manual mentions the standards is now "HOAT" and warns against the other new technology "OAT" (=DexCool).

If your jeep came with conventional antifreeze you can stay with it or use the new G-05 as a replacement.

Be sure to flush the cooling system if you still are using the factory fill and refill with your choice of antifreeze and DISTILLED water.

You can buy a flush & fill kit for $3.99 or just the Tee and clamps if you saved the adapters from a previous vehicle as I did. The Tee and clamps were $1.98 + tax at Auto-Zone.

Note: You must possess a minimum amount of manual dexterity to view these pix.

Note: The new G-05 antifreeze costs an additional $1 per gallon over the American Green. It was $9.99/gal vs. $8.99/gal at Pepboys.

Reply to
Billy Ray

. Thanks for the great info and the pictures. I didn't hurt myself at all looking. Joe Carroll

2K-TJ

There are some simple truths...And the dogs know what they are." Joseph Duemer

Reply to
Joe Carroll

You need to 'really' be careful with the top rad hose. If you just remove the thermostat housing and bend the hose to get it out of the way while cleaning the old gasket or installing, the plastic top of the rad can/will start to leak. If it does this you need a new rad.

Other than that, it is pretty straight forward.

Mike

Joe Carroll wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Just checking, low coolant can cause the same problem. I still always check the thermostat in a pot of boiling water. You're lucky it froze open, most usually freeze closed. I think they sell an "upgraded" version that garuntees to freeze open.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

If I remember correctly you should make sure you have a replacement thermostat with a "burp" hole and that the hole is on top. Drifter "I've been here, I've been there..."

Reply to
Drifter

They do sell the 'fail safe' thermostats. I have one in and they/it works for sure because I ran her hot and have full flow on a cold start now.

Mike

Carl wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Billy Ray proclaimed:

Do you get that from NASA now, or from Burt Rutan?

Reply to
Lon

Having family still in government service is good for some things.

Billy snipped-for-privacy@SPAM.fuse.net (remove SPAM)

Reply to
Billy Ray