These "Ebay Parts": Whaddaya Think?

Some have brand names, but I can't help but think and wonder "what's up" when I see brand new Cat Converters for my Grand Loredo on Ebay for $75. I think a saw a whole muffler assembly (cat-muffler-exhaust w/pipe) for like $175. On first blush I'm thinking this has got to be cheap Chinese junk. However perhaps it's not and simply removing layers of margin and mark up from traditional distribution/retail channels.

Any folks here regularly by new parts on Ebay? I bought a new radiator on there that seems to have been a decent product. Just wondering if there has formed a general consensus on a lot of these very cheap Ebay prices for new parts.

Reply to
lanceandrew

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com did pass the time by typing:

A new high-flow cat for my ZJ, locally installed by Mr. Kim at the muffler shop across from where I work is only $99. So $75 is possible.

Some places charge way too much for those things.

As for the muffler assembly, that's possible. It's also possible someone has knocked off a brand name using local parts. I prefer to stick with known suppliers or those with references like Kolak (who by the way sells on eBay).

Reply to
DougW

I've bought a LOAD of stuff on Ebay. short throw shifter rims and tires billet grilles, tow hooks tow bars replacement lights roof racks light bars and on and on...

BUT I only buy OEM or name brands. Either OEM from someone that is wholesaling or a well known name brand.

The only things I have bought that were aftermarket, were pretty much what you would expect from anything made in China. Junk. A carbon fiber shift knob and clear corner lights (both for the Cobra)

I would say don't buy it unless you can find a manufacturer's website for it. Another thing I do, is check the seller's feedback. Look for someone who has bought the same thing you are looking for, and email them. Ask them how the product was, if it fit ok and what the quality is. You'd be amazed at how many people will give you a review on something like that.

Kate

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Just some trivia for you:

A few years back I worked for one of the national "chain" muffler and brake shops.

We used Walker exhaust. Fairly middle of the road stuff for affordable aftermarket repair.

We paid on average $45 to $50 for new "universal fit" brand name converters, and they sold at 1.8 markup.

Direct fit were substantially more.

The old converter we took off your vehicle, we sold to precious metals dealers, for $15 to $45 dollars, dependent upon the makeup of the catalyst, and size of it.

Sometimes cheaper is just cheaper, not necessarily lesser in quality.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

You must be the guy who put the undersized muffler on the Suburban I bought six years ago. Three to two and a half inch reducer on the front end, two and a half to three expander on the outlet. :o(

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton

Seriously ????? LMAO! How long did it take you to find it?

Reply to
KJ.Kate

There were a lot of things that went on there that I didn't approve of. I have seen first hand what you're describing. Put the wrong part on just to get your money.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

The muffler rusted through, and then the vehicle started running better. Now it has a Borla cat-back system on it.

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton