This could solve fuel problems....

I have a 97 TJ that has one of those gauges that likes pissing your off. Well it doesn't fill all of the way and I think I found out why. I was reading into my rig and came across a noted problem it said "The gas tank may fill slowly or the pump nozzle will keep shutting off due to a problem with the fuel-tank venting system. (1997)" this is a direct diagnosis of my problem.

My question is does anyone know anything about this or how to fix it? I am so sick of the gauge being messed up and my 19 gallon tank only holds 15 because the damn thing won't let me fill it all of the way. I know it's a 19 gallon because I checked the part # plus when the pump shuts off the gauge will only read just over 3/4 full. Can't get it all the way full

Dave

Reply to
ki7hy

Have you tried filling it the rest of the way from a portable gas can just to ensure that it is really possible to put more gas in it and you aren't just not using the last 4 gallons in the tank? Another test might be to run it all the way to empty -- true empty, not just when the gauge hits 'E' -- and then fill it up from a gas pump... If you can still only put 15 gallons in it, I would then try filling it the rest of the way by pouring gas from a

5g can into it until it overflowed... To ensure that you don't run into yet another venting problem, perhaps a hose running all the way into tank would work... That should allow it to vent around the sides of the hose and you should be able to fill it up to the point of it overflowing... There is still probably an expansion area in the tank that you might not be able to easily fill...
Reply to
Grumman-581

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Its quite common to collapse a fuel tank when the vent valve on the fill cap is blocked, then it doesnt take much vacuum from the fuel pump to collapse a tank. Too bad such tanks arent baffled . .. the baffles would hold the tank from collapsing.

86XJ Cherokee .... used to have 15 gall> I have a 97 TJ that has one of those gauges that likes pissing your off.
Reply to
RichH

Has anyone actually done this? If so, what year Wranglers?

Reply to
Billy Tolcher