Thought my Rubicon could fly - oops

While driving Saturday, I tried to see how high I could jump my 03 Rubicon.I was aired down to 18 lbs, and had my sway bar disconnected. Stock 31 MTRs. From the video, it appears I leveled out at 5 feet.

After hitting the ground, my right front wheel was missing about eight inches off the inside rim. Later that day, I noticed that I had gear oil leaking from my right front axle. Seems the seal is bad (at least).

However, the Jeep drives fine, with no steering problems at all.

Can anyone provide an outline for changing the seal? After I tear into it, I'll check the axle, etc.

Reply to
swbell

To help further determine what is wrong, we need to see pictures and video. :-)

Patrick ?Ô

Reply to
Patrick Ô¿Ô

You are lucky you did not lock the axles, else you would have snapped them. If you were on sand then maybe you got away with out any major damage. Think about your tires spinning at rev speed then both hitting the ground with no give -- something has to give. I would say the you were lucky or that you did crack the diff, or the axles. Maybe you did but you do not know it yet.

Reply to
snowboardripper

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

This reminds me of the time I used a Honda Civic for a submarine. ;o)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Really wish I had so much money I could just jump a Rubi without a care in the world... wow...

Jeeps aren't rally trucks... that said, take it to the dealer, tell them what you did, and see how much of a dent (or not) that'll put in your bank. I really wouldn't drive it around not knowing what you've done. If something gives on the highway, it isn't just going to be your life at risk.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

in article BEEF374B.339F3% snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net, swbell at snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net wrote on 7/4/05 6:58 PM:

Video is here:

swbell

in article RGoye.100499$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.texas.rr.com, Eric at snipped-for-privacy@baileyscorner.com wrote on 7/5/05 12:14 AM:

How much do you worry when driving off road? I admit that what I did was a little extreme, but I've got a Jeep to enjoy it - not to worry about scratching it.

Reply to
swbell

Nice video.

Patrick ?Ô

Reply to
Patrick Ô¿Ô

All you needed was a rebel flag, zero-ones painted on the it, yelling "YEEEEHAWWWW" with a cop car chasing you . :)

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

How hard is it to get the carrier in or out without using a spreader? Can you get the seals in without special tools?

in article snipped-for-privacy@cox.net, L.W. Hughes III (ßill) at snipped-for-privacy@cox.net wrote on 7/4/05 9:09 PM:

Reply to
swbell

Often, a spreader is not required. A hammer and a pry bar will usually pop it out. You can make a seal tool from a long threaded rod and some nuts and washers.

Maybe truss it before your next jump:

http://jpmagaz> How hard is it to get the carrier in or out without using a spreader?

Reply to
Steve

Good to see the hands safley at the 10 and 2 positions, eyes fixed straight ahead. Your drivers ed teacher would be proud HA..

I am not sure if I would show that video to the next guy that buys your Jeep, but that is pretty impresive.

Reply to
Rusted

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Not much, but as someone said before, it's not designed to be a rally truck, and I keep that in mind. I have caught some air, but only in sand dunes, where the sand provides some cushion. If you landed hard enough to start a seal leak and have contact with your wheel, you bent something bad, like an axletube, in which case a new seal won't fix your problem. Tow it to an alignment shop and see if there is detectable camber measurement. If so, you need a new axle. Sorry.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

He he...they went through something like three cars per episode on Dukes of Hazzard, every time one was jumped they'd have to trash it. They had a special team that scoured the country looking for '69 Chargers to replace all the ones they destroyed in the filming. I wonder how many they had for the movie opening next month:

Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III